"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Friday, November 07, 2014

Finally...the Issan sausage at Krua Thai

Earlier this evening Bert and I had a "date night" once more. TC had a night performance with the troop and we didn't have to pick her up until later...

We hadn't been here in since earlier this summer so we decided to try our luck...

with the Issan Sausage. It must have been our lucky day because the owner/chef had it in stock. In addition to the ever elusive Thai sausage, we also ordered the crab noodles and the beef salad. If I had reread Kirk's post from May, I probably would have stayed away from the latter.

Of course, we HAD to get the curry puffs appetizer again along an iced drink; it was tea this time since they were out of coffee (wut!!!!!). We just love the flaky layers of the dough and the crimped edges. The filling is a curried beef, potato and peas mixture.


We've been ruined by Supannee House of Thai's superior version of the Issan sausage, but I feel compelled to try this dish wherever I can find it. Our previous two visits were misses. Well, even though the chef was a former employee at the Original Sab e Lee, the sausage (as Kirk noted in his post) looked to be on the burnt side  There were no cucumber slices or peanuts. I noticed that the ginger was cut into big pieces rather than slivers. I missed the peanuts and maybe should have asked for it. The last time we had this at SEL, they did not serve it with a cabbage wedge either.  The sausage was all right  but this was probably not house made but thawed from frozen.


The beef salad was a disappointment. There was hardly any beef and it was on the touch side. The color also looked kind of...anemic?  The lettuce was baby rather than the dreaded iceberg that Kirk experienced. The tiny green eggplant was a nice touch and the salad did pack some heat by the tiny chopped chilis (I bit into one by mistake and paid for it later, wut!).


The crab noodles were pretty good, at least for us it was. A reader left a nasty comment under Kirk's Krua Thai post about these noodles. I have to disagree with that poster because these noodles were delicious and had lots of real crab inside! To each his own, I say!


We loved our dinner for the most part, with the beef salad being the weakest of the bunch. Now that I can cross off this place's sausage on my list.

Previous visit to Krua Thai:
July 2014

For old time's sake (ha ha), we went out to have dessert elsewhere since we still had a lot of time on our hands that early evening...

2 comments:

Cathy Doe said...

The sausage appears to be tasty, but after seeing the massive selections available at LAX-C, I know where they probably got it...and will take your word when we stop by here someday. We will, you know.

caninecologne said...

The sausage tastes good all right but just not as good as Supanne's housemade and fresher version.

Let's do LAX-C again and take some home. Buy a few brands and do a taste test of sorts.