
The South Cali Steak Burger Bar on the southwest corner of Third and Montgomery. Back in the odle days, this used to be a mariscos place for the longest time...
TC was up for some burgers...

There are only three parking spots, with the far left one situated in a wierd way where you have to jump the corner of the curb. I passed on the last spot in their tiny lot and ended up doing street parking.

This is one of those places where you just pass it by, wonder what it's like and never set foot. Well not today. Plus, I had a preview from Mary and Jake's previous visit (linked at the end of this post). It's not a fancy place or a big place, but one that is quite welcoming. There are decals of San Diego based teams on the walls (I was happy to see my alma mater, SDSU). I bet this place is busy at night and major sports events...


The coupon only applies to combination entrees or their specials board. We chose from the board.


TC chose the Hawaiian burger with fries while I went with Bacon/Avocado/Cheeseburger, also with fries.


The salsa here had a great homemade flavor with a definite kick...None of this La Victoria nonsense.

Our combos...Although I don't eat fries all that much, these were pretty fresh and quite hot.

Hawaiian burger = slap a pineapple on it and add teriyaki sauce. Well, TC liked it.

My Bacon/Avo/Cheese burger. The cheese was processed and I don't have a problem with that. Kraft singles, I hope. The bacon was nice and thick, not like those thin crappy meat crisps from Mystic Mocha...This was actual bacon and not hipster candied artisanal bacon. Both patties were cooked medium and were very juicy and flavorful.

Bacon...

This ain't no hipster joint and I like that it's not.
Who else went to South Cali Steak Burger Bar?
Mary went here earlier this summer - August 2014
plus the reviews from that four lettered site and the SD Reader, "Not a steak but not a bad burger". April 29, 2014.
South Cali Steak Burger Bar
301 Montgomery St.
Chula Vista, CA 91911
(619) 409-7099
They don't have a website, but they do have an Fb page
I'll have to come again but with Bert next time. He would like the ambiance here and the burger offerings...I hope this place survives longer than the many mariscos places that preceded it. The folks working here are really nice and welcoming. Before leaving, several customers told them (in Spanish) that their food was "muy sabroso" (delicious) and one elderly man said he would be coming back again soon!


4 comments:
I pass by here twice a year. Will make an effort to stop...but it's usually that the parking is full...So now I wonder what makes it a "Mexican" burger...
Cathy - Perhaps a stop here is in the cards for you in the future...Their "lot" is so funny - only space for 3 cars and the one on the left corner is so wierd too since you would have to get into it by going over the curb at an odd angle. although Mexicans own this place, there wasn't too much Mexican food on the menu that I saw. Maybe the Ortega burger. When I saw the Chili size, i thought of your husband...
I've been here several more times since my post. Totally seen cars in all three of those posts, too! I would not park in that far left one... geez. I love that the food here is always served so HOT - it makes it seem fresher/better that way. Maybe next time we visit I'll try something greek to be different. (maybe)
Their parking lot is so wierd with those funky spaces. Gosh, I didn't even want to try parking in that corner spot. I found it interesting that they served Greek food here.
Post a Comment