
(older photo from an older post that I can't find and link)
Mary hadn't been to this one and both Minxi and S were newbies to Seafood City...
I wanted to show them the food court which has pretty much every Filipino fast food chain and some popular dessert places. This was the monggo bread (mung bean basket they called this) at Valerio's. Mary bought one but didn't have a chance to taste it since her mom claimed it. On the left are Valerio's famous cheese rolls...

I noticed that Valerio's also updated their packaging label. It is now more colorful and appealing. I will have to try that jackfruit rice cake next time. The white cakes are "puto", steamed rice muffin cakes. My Mexican friends think it's hilarious that 'puto' means rice cake since it's a bad word in Spanish.

More Filipino goodies including palitaw, a boiled rice cake that I make traditionally for New Year's Eve...

Plus their various hopia rolls filled with mung bean, wintermelon, and ube.

Next to Valerio's is Filipino Desserts Plus which has all kinds of pre-packaged takeout food like pancit palabok, lumpiang sariwa (fresh lumpia, which is not fried and rolled in a fresh thin crepelike wrapper), along with various colorful sticky rice cakes...

They even had a few steam trays. I LOVE dinuguan but I supposed it is an acquired taste since it's beef blood stew! For the white people, we like to say this is "chocolate meat", ha ha. Seriously, this is pretty tasty if made well. If people can eat haggis in Scotland, tripe menudo in Mexico and maggoty cheese in Italy, beef blood stew seems tame in comparison.

The popular butter mamom cakes at Red Ribbon Bakery...


along with their Ube Overload cake...Now THAT is a purple cake!

It was fun showing them around. All of us bought a few snacks and I even bought a few salmon fillets (not the fish heads though)...

My snacks, which ironically were NOT Filipino but Korean and Japanese respectively.

No old Lolas were observed tormenting the crabs that day to my chagrin. The guy calling out the fish numbers was pretty conservative that day as well, no colorful comments.
Previous visit to Seafood City:
I know I've been here much more recently than August, but this was a compilation post:
August 2014
Mary's awesome recap:
South Bay Food Crawl, November 2014
The places we visited in order:
Stop 1 - Birria Fernandez
Stop 2 - Mariscos Isaac Taco Truck
Stop 3 - La Palapa Nayarit
Stop 4 - Coronado Brewing Company
A quick breather at the IB Pier
Stop 5 - Oasis Ice Cream Parlor
and this last post, Seafood City.
There were so many other places I wanted to hit up, but of course, not enough time (or stomach room, ha ha) to do so. That just means another opportunity to do another another crawl down South!


2 comments:
I liked how all of the foodie shops were crammed into one space. In Mira Mesa you have to go around the neighborhood a bit to hit up all of those spots. I actually visited the Grill place that's in there here in MM but I forgot to post about it. Oops!
Mary - I like how it's so convenient with everything being in one spot. I like Grill City, especially their pork and squid skewers.
Post a Comment