
I was curious to try their birria for comparison...
We ordered a Marsicada taco (mixed seafood), a small order of birria de res, and a Tostada mixta.


Chips and that La Victoria bottled tasting salsa...

Our tostada mixta - which was a healthy mix of seafood (shrimp, octopus and some mystery meat), with chopped cucumbers, tomatoes and red onions, topped with avocado. That mystery meat would also show up in our taco...more on that in a tiny bit.

Our birria de res with accompaniments (no radishes here). The meat was in chunks and a bit on the not so tender side. The soup itself was alright, but not having soft meat was a bit of a downer.


In the middle was our taco with the mixed seafood.

It had the same type of seafood mix as our tostada with lots of melted cheese minus the cucumbers. See the pieces along the edge? I have NO idea what that is. When I asked the waitress, she told in Spanish that it was "escalopes" but it sure didn't look, taste or feel like scallopts to me. I think it was some sort of fish or seafood loaf, kind of like the fish cake my mom puts into her pancit.


I showed this picture to La Ley a few days later and she said it looked like abalone, but again, the rubbery texture was just too wierd for me

The seafood mixture was too salty for me. Maybe we ordered the wrong thing or something, but what we had wasn't as great as it could have been, especially with that mystery seafood meat. The meat in their birria compared to the version we had at Fernandez wasn't as soft and not as "fun" to eat in a taco.
Previous visit to Palapa Nayarit:
Just last week during the South Bay Food Crawl
I would still give this place a chance but just not order these same things again. The woman who served us was quite amused by my Spanish speaking skills, even asking if I was "Latina". I was just glad to practice my Spanish. There are a few more things on this menu I'd still like to try (caldo de res, pozole rojo and some fish fillet entrees) in the very near future...


4 comments:
I might have to agree that the mystery meat looks like abalone to me too. Which is odd b/c abalone is kinda expensive so not sure why it would be in a taco. Not saying it wouldn't work but I'm just not an abalone fan.
Faye - I've never had abalone but it didn't really seem like actual meat...it had the wierdest texture, like it was rubbery and spongy, ugh.
Ugh, mystery seafood?! No thanks. Doesn't sound appealing. The birria doesn't look as awesome as the one at Fernandez. Too bad! At least you're experimenting with their whole menu, haha.
Yeah, I found those tidbits odd. I couldn't even describe the taste. All I know is that I don't ever want to eat it again. I learned from my mistake, haha.
Post a Comment