
This time for the combined birthday celebration for D (belated) and TORC (early)...As always, and as it should be (heh heh), they let me choose the venues...

KD drives by here almost every day and never even knew this was here until I told her about it. Since none of us had been here before, we were all quite curious about Nate's...
which is an eatery attached to City Farmer's Nursery on the lower edge of City Heights. If you can't find parking in their dirt lot, you can try your luck on the street.

We ordered inside and planned to eat outside to enjoy the beautiful day, despite the hot weather. Inside, however, it was quite cool, but with hardly any natural lighting (which of course makes for crappy photos, so outside it was). There were quite a few beers on tap and I sample two, the Yeti stout and some sour one. I liked the stout much better while the sour was quite horrible. It was like drinking vinegar; one sip was all I could handle. I ended up getting coffee instead. The decor was rustic and quirky, such as this vintage stove which served as the coffee accoutrements station.

Beers galore! They will let you sample whatever you want on the board.





Their Brunch/Breakfast menu may also be viewd here; this menu is only available on the weekends.



TORC's orange juice, D's tea, and my cold brew coffee from Dark Horse (pre cream and sugar); not show was KD's coffee.

Our plates before we dug in and shared...

TORC's french toast with house cure pork belly (yesss), potato hash, fresh berries and maple syrup.

My vegetable fritatta with pork sausage (the server said where it was from, but she said it so fast all I could remember was that is was from Portland)...Everyone seemed to like this. I liked picking off the sausage bits here.

KD's crab cakes benedict which she really liked. Unfortunately, she started on the crab cake with the harder poached egg (she likes it runny). The biscuit underneath this was pretty good too. I tried to avoid the sauce (not too fond of Hollandaise) and the runny eggs.

D's steak and egg tacos which were pretty hearty. A few pieces of the meat were on the chewy side though.

Back to that crab cake...it was pretty substantial with lots of crab meat goodness.

I wasn't sure who he belonged to but little fellow was quite the friendly and curious dog, wandering about and walking underneath the tables, rubbing against our legs and just looking so cute!

I'd love to go here again with Bert so that he can partake of their craft beer selection...

Everyone enjoyed their own dish as well as trying each other's. If I had to pick a favorite, it would be mine, followed by the crab cakes (but without the eggs and the sauce). One downside about eating outside were the flies which were quite bothersome.
We liked the laid back atmosphere and the quality of the food. We checked out the garden/nursery next door (that post will follow shortly) and marveled at the feeling of being in an oasis in the middle of nowhere.
Future visits are definitely in store, both for Nate's Garden Grill and the nursery.
Who else went to Nate's Garden Grill?
Kirk went here back in January 2014 plus reviews from that four lettered site
Nate's Garden Grill
3120 Euclid Ave
San Diego, CA 92105
(619) 546-7700
natesgardengrill.com + their fb page
TORC's Bday lunch last year:
Kafe Sobaka Restoran Pomegranate, September 2013
D's Bday lunch last year:
Return to Ali Baba Family Restaurant, August 2013
Next bday will be in January for KD but I'm sure we will have another get together in between those few months!


4 comments:
Hey CC - I'm glad you enjoyed Nate's. It's the pulled pork hash that keeps us coming back for brunch. I'm sure we'll be seeing chickens, goat's, quail, and maybe a pony or two in your next post!
hi kirk - other than the flies, yes, i liked it a lot! can't wait to bring bert and tc here. she would like seeing the dog(s) and animals. bert, the beers, haha.
i missed seeing the quails during my visit though.
Oh man, I haven't been here in a long time. It looks totally updated and different now! I like the look/feel of it now, seems much homier and friendlier. The revamp makes it looks so cute and cozy. I like that they gave you your breakfast in a cast iron skillet, too, that's really cool. Will definitely need to revisit.
I'd like to go here again....you would like it here!
Post a Comment