"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Saturday, June 07, 2014

Dolphin's (The former South Bay Fish & Grille)

This past Friday was Graduation, which to me signals the end of the the school and work year!

The co-workers and I met up for lunch immediately after the ceremony and decided on the newly renamed Dolphins on the J St./Marina Parkway in Chula Vista...



Those of us South Bay folks may remember the first incarnation of this restaurant as "Jake's" (there is another Jake's in Del Mar), which then became Bob's on the Bay in the early 2000's. Thennnnn, Bob's closed ten years ago and was reborn as South Bay Fish & Grille. Same restaurant, same decor, similar food, but different names. Now it is Dolphin's and has been operating as Dolphin's for the past two months, which is pretty recent.

Bert and I had our wedding rehearsal dinner held in the private dining room when it was Jake's nearly 19 years ago. I've been here numerous times since then for various professional functions.

The last time we were here was when my beloved late Ninang celebrated her 70's birthday three years ago.

I was one of the first of our group to arrive. I headed out of the graduation venue as fast as I could and made it here in record time, just a few minutes after they opened.

La Ley and I HAD to sit outside and enjoy the beautiful weather. The rest made it shortly after with the exception of Mr. TJ who got stuck in traffic at the venue.

Must be nice to have a boat or yacht!


The menu seems the same as before. See the appetizer called SBF&G? They didn't even bother renaming that one. The letters stand for the old name, South Bay Fish & Grille.

A couple of us ordered the same thing.



One of our friends ordered the Kung Pao Calamari....

She, along with another co-worker both ordered the massive Shrimp and Crab Louie salad. Another co-worker along with myself ordered the Seafood Melt which had real crab (I asked) and shrimp.

The sandwich normally come with fries...

while I substituted my fries for a salad with Ranch dressing on the side.

It was so refreshing to have this sandwich...I ended up sharing mine with Mr. TJ who arrived later into the lunch. We were all going to go to our site's end of the year party so I figured I wouldn't eat a big meal. Sharing it made it easier to save room for the next party.

Now for this salad, it was a bit pricey, but it did have A LOT of protein in the forms of sliced hard boiled eggs, shrimp, and real crab meat. It was quite a bit of food and both co-workers ended up taking more than half home later.

The sandwich wasn't enough for Mr. TJ, so he (along with La Ley) had a clam chowder; his with LOTS of freshly ground black pepper!

It was nice to have lunch with my co-workers before we went out separate ways for the summer!

Previous visits when it was still South Bay Fish & Grille:
May 2009 and May 2010 (both were scholarship functions), and August 2011 when I took out my late Ninang to dinner.

Dolphin's
570 Marina Parkway
Chula Vista, CA 91910
(619) 420-7234

Dolphinsrestaurant.com

Seems like the only thing that has changed is the name. The views here are quite nice and  that is what you're paying for.

And oh yeah, it's FINALLY SUMMER for me!!!!!!

2 comments:

Mary said...

Looks like they got their money's worth with those salads! I'm jealous of your summer vacation! I wish I had one too!

caninecologne said...

they did, but miserly me still thinks it was overpriced.

i plan to enjoy every minute of this vacation!