We picked up my auntie and uncle from their hotel and headed over to the South Bay Fish and Grill at the Chula Vista Marina. Also on their way to the venue were my Ninang and Ninong.

My auntie and uncle were so kind to entertain us during our all too brief visit to Hilo back in 2006. We wanted to take both them and my Ninang and Ninong out since they were so generous to us during our visits.
We started off with Calamari, which I didn't realize was what they call "Kung Pao". The sauce tasted like the sweet chili sauce for chicken. It was too syrupy and sweet for me. Kung Pao? I don't think so!

TC had the Fish and Chips, along with a cup of Clam Chowder (not pictured because it kind of sucked). I just realized, most of us had some sort of fried food. The clam chowder was too pasty which of course, it not good. There was no flavor really. Hardly any clams.

Bert had the Macadamia Nut crusted bass which he actually liked. The sides, not so much. The mashed potatoes were kinda thick and dense and the vegetables were your standard steamed ones.

I originally wanted Bert and I to share a Paella. In their menu they had a special for everyday of the week, so Saturday was "Paella for 2 for $29.95" which was supposed to include house wine. Turns out it is no longer offered. Well, they should remove that whole insert from their menu then. Instead, Bert ordered the sea bass and I ordered another nut encrusted item, the Hazelnut Crusted Scallops (same sides). I actually liked the scallops though.

My uncle got the Fisherman's Platter, not realizing that it would be a plate fit for a sumo wrestler. Man, this is all fried. I'm not sure what was on the far end, but he had french fries, shrimps, and fish on his platter.

His entree also came with a small bowl of ceviche and a basket of tri-colored chips. He said the ceviche was too sour and that he made way better ahi poke back home! I think I'll be booking our Spring Break tickets soon! Ha ha!

Both my Ninang and Aunti got the Seafood Pasta. This was my Ninang's plate (she ordered hers without scallops so they gave her extra clams). There were two hunks of buttered garlic bread. The seafood included mussels, clams, large shrimp, and calamari rings. I did not get a photo of my Ninong's food since he sat across from me at the table and I didn't want to ask Bert to snap a shot of it from far away. Both sets of relatives were amused (and hopefully not annoyed) yet tolerant of my snapshots...

Since were were celebrating my Ninang's birthday and wedding anniversary, I asked our server to bring in a couple of desserts for all to share. This one was the Aloha Pie - Vanilla ice cream with macadamia nuts enclosed in a crushed chocolate cookie crust topped with whipped cream, more nuts, and chocolate sauce.

We sang "Happy Birthday" while she blew out the candle on the Cheesecake with berry sauce. The other dessert was a large creme brulee. Everyone seemed to enjoy the desserts and I'm glad that both my godparents as well as my auntie and uncle had a good time reminiscing about the good old days. For example, my uncle said in the 60's that the land this restaurant was on was just marshland. He also used to be a mailman after he quit the Navy; he used to deliver Pete Wilson's mail in the early 70's when he was Mayor of San Diego!

It was such a long day...first the party at my godbro's house, then a late dinner. TC nearly fell asleep at the dinner table...

Although I've posted on SBF&G before, I'm too lazy to link it. Plus, the photos from those posts aren't too exciting. This place has changed names so many times. From Jake's by the Sea, to Bob's on the Bay to South Bay Fish & Grill. It was the closest place to us with a nice view and I knew neither pair of our guests had been there before. My mom called me earlier this evening and said my godparents and uncle and auntie (whom she hosted lunch today) were raving about how much they enjoyed dinner and our company, so yay.


2 comments:
The Fisherman's platter looks good! And the aloha pie, yeah....
hi c - man, it was fried shit galore that night! ha ha.
Post a Comment