"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Thursday, June 05, 2014

Centro Cultural de la Raza

A few weekends ago, Bert and I attended the FilGrad event at a building I'd always wondered about...

Several of my friends' kids were graduating high school and we wanted to show our support...


As a young child, I remember seeing this building whenever I had a medical appointment at the old Balboa Naval Hospital. My mom and I would walk across the street and see the interesting, strange, and sometimes "scary" paintings on this curious circular building. One mural, which has since been painted over, was a skeleton holding a drug needle.

In 1971, after Chicano Park was established (just a mere few years after the Coronado Bay Bridge was built and tore apart Barrio Logan), the Centro Cultural de la Raza was dedicated as an arts and cultural center. Many of the murals outside were painted in 1974 by Chicano/a activists.

Inside, the space is quite large and also filled with murals within.

Of course, there was an image of the Virgin of Guadalupe with indigenous people. One of the walls had this fantastic mural, "La Dualidad" by Yermo Aranda.

The eagle with the stairstepped wings is from the NFW logo (National Farm Workers)...

There is a strong theme of family...

The designs facing away from the street...


Rounding the bend...

Now THIS was the image that made a big impression on me as a young girl, the fierce figure of Geronimo wielding a rifle.

Outside near the front of the building was a smaller building (not sure what this housed), but it was also covered with bright murals.

We parked across the street at the old Naval Hospital parking lot where we could see the graceful arches of the Coronado bridge...

It was a lovely day for this recognition program; each graduate had a chance to shine on stage and thank those who have inspired them.

Centro Cultural de la Raza
2004 Park Blvd.
San Diego, CA 92101
(619) 235-6135

centroculturaldelaraza.com

I'd like to revisit the center again in the near future to learn more about Chicano history and the meaning behind the murals.

No comments: