"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Wednesday, June 04, 2014

TC is now a freshman!

This morning, TC promoted from her middle school...

Time surely does fly...

It's hard to believe that our TC, along with her cousin (Nephew #4, this is the one who is one day older than her) are now officially high school freshmen!

We had quite the long day...

Starting off with waking up early to get to the venue in time as well as to find a good seat. Thanks to my brother, we were able to get a good vantage point. I wore a hat (bought the day before) to shade my face, but forgot to bring a scarf to cover my shoulders so now I have a nasty tan line.

This past weekend, I was at the FilGrad event at the Centro Cultural de la Raza in Balboa Park and saw some cool ribbon leis on sale. I bought two of them (in the colors of the Philippine flag) for TC and her cousin. The girls making them could also customize them according to school colors, but I figured the flag colors were more "reusable". Turns out that both TC and her cousin were the only ones wearing a lei of this type during the ceremony this morning.

Since it was a special occasion, TC wore a cute lace mini skirt with a pastel sleeveless top.  I allowed her to wear Vans which was fine with me, as long as she dressed up. Her good friend Sherlock wore Converse while Sherlock's younger sister had on a purple pair.

There were a lot of girls who wore flats, some sneakers (like TC) and a few wore some sky high heels and it was evident that they did not know how to walk in those, haha.

As we did last year for the kids' birthdays, my brother hosted a combination party for them at his place. We brought lumpia (from JNC Pinoy Food Mart), chicken afritada and pinakbet (both made by my parents with the latter featuring vegetables from their backyard - eggplant, bittermelon, and purple lima beans)...

My brother's aunt-in-law made pancit palabok and we brought Orange Chicken from Mandarin

On the grill was ribeye steak, which was later sliced up by my bro...

From the oven were these ribs (two slabs worth) made by my brother's girlfriend. I need to get the recipe from her; the glaze involved Dr. Pepper! These were so good and I only had one. The kids demolished most of it!

As an afterthought, of course, was the salad (also made by bro's GF)...kale from my parents' backyard with orange segments. The dressing was greek yogurt, olive oil, orange juice, plus salt and pepper. She also included freshly minced garlic and sliced jalapenos in there! Loved this salad!

She also made sangria using rose wine and chunks of watermelon...

This was so refreshing! I also loved the drinks dispenser. I want one for future parties!

My bro made drinks with these...the Seagrams was supposed to be Mike's Hard Lemonade but they didn't have any so he got this instead...

Another refreshing drink!

It felt strange for me to be having a drink during mid-week! I took today off for this special occasion!

Also made by bro's GF was her blueberry topped cheesecake, which was delicious...

We brought the cake from Hans & Harry, Black Forest...

with two kinds of ice cream, strawberry and chocolate chip. We wanted to give the kids choices and TC was happy to make the selections for her and the cousins.


The ceremony lasted nearly two hours. With an 8th grade class of over 800 900+ students, imagine all of those names being read and NOT in alpha order either.  Speeches were read by two very eloquent student speakers as well as a performance by the school choir which sang a pretty good rendition of "Good Riddance" by Green Day (aka "Time of Your Life").

But they should have played this:

OMG, this Korean guitarist is AMAZING!

The most "unceremonious" moments occurred, luckily, when the students were not in their seats. Several sea gulls perched at the top of the venue thought it would be a good time to release some bombs. This happened around three of four separate times. It was so gross because we saw some whitish liquid plopping down and realized it was bird poo. Yuck!

Bert and I are proud of TC and her accomplishments in middle school and are confident that she will find future success as she begins high school next month.

7 comments:

Jinxi said...

Many congrats to TC, and of course to her parents :) Great celebration!

Wandering Chopsticks said...

Congratulations! But wasn't it just yesterday that TC was a little kid?! High school next month? Summer school or year-round school? Give the poor kid a break!

Faye said...

Congrats to TC for such a milestone. I remember being so excited to finish middle school. I was always jealous of the students who's family would make special family/cultural/etc insignias for their graduation day. The leis you purchased looked beautiful.

caninecologne said...

Jinxi - Thank you very much. :)

WC - Thanks! Yes, I remember when you met first met her, she was only 9 1/2. The kids only get 6 weeks of vacation. I have 4 1/2. :(

Faye - Thank you for the well wishes. This was the first time I bought any type of regalia for a ceremony. The lady who made the ribbon leis said she learned how to make it from youtube! :)

Darlene said...

Congratulations! Wow... 800 students. That's massive. Hope she enjoys her last free summer before all the craziness. Four more years and she's an adult.

Mary said...

Congrats to TC and her promotion to high school! Very exciting to see her move up in school. And WOW 800 students, holy cow. I can't remember how many students were in my middle school (a lot) but my high school was about 350 for the graduating class.

The Dr. Pepper glaze on the ribs sounds good... will have to look that one up! I also loved the ribbon lei's - so pretty and such a nice keepsake.

caninecologne said...

hi darlene - TC says,
"Thank you".

omg, i just found out from a friend (an admnistrator) that it was over 900 students! her son's school had 900+ as well! We only had abougt 400 student in our senior class!!!

hi mary - TC thanks you as well! :)
i believe my bro's GF got the Dr. Pepper/ribs recipe from allrecipes.com. Haven't checked for it myself, but I'm sure you could find a recipe out there. I want to try making it too.

The ribbon leis were quite cool. i wouldn't have the manual dexterity or the patience to make those, haha.