
From the 5, I took the Main Street exit so I could get on National City Blvd where we passed by the iconic Palm Reader sign (in the 70's and 80's the sign had an eyeball on it instead of a planet)...
Almost immediately after passing the Palm Reader, I saw this liquor store covered with murals. The style was familiar; it was in fact a mural painted by Glow (Gloria Muriel).

Of course, I stopped and parked to take photos. The only wall I didn't document was the east facing wall (facing National City Blvd).





Her style is easily recognizable, especially with the nymphlike girls with the big eyes...



It was neat seeing the Palm Reader sign from the ground up instead of in a moving car.

The things I'll do to record public art!
Info on Gloria "Glow" Muriel:
www.gloriamuriel.com
Other Glow murals:
Glow mural in Normal Heights Dec 2015
Pentych in North Park (this post also includes photos of her other murals throughout San Diego)
One-Ten Liquor Store
110 National City Blvd.
National City, CA 91950
(619) 477-8222
There is no website but here are the reviews (and pix) from y***
I'm glad that I took that detour off the freeway to get away from the shitty traffic...


No comments:
Post a Comment