"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Thursday, March 03, 2016

My parents' garden, a homecooked lunch & crispy banana lumpia

TC and I visited my parents over the weekend.

My dad was happy to show my their garden's latest progress...


Their flat leaf kale (above) was growing quite well. They also picked all of their guavas off their tree and gave us a big bag of 'em. I had to give some out because there was no way we would be able to finish it all. Their camote in the back is thriving. They pruned their fig tree and my dad is still trying to decide what to grow on the trellises (really a wire fence).

Collard greens and even more kale are also growing as well as dragon fruit.

In my parents covered patio is an eating area as well as a stove and sink. My mom cooks out here and also fries fish here.  In the Philippines, this would be called the 'dirty kitchen'.  This way, the fried food smells don't stink up the house.  My mom made us some food for a late lunch.

Sauteed kale with onions, garlic and shrimp.

Sotanghon (clear glass noodles) with chicken meatballs and green onions from the back yard.


While we were watching the Oscars preview, my mom brought out some freshly fried banana lumpia.

I liked how she rolled the lumpias and left the ends untucked.  These were so nice, thin, and crisp!


She only sprinkled a tiny bit of sugar on top since she's trying to limit their sugar intake. These were such an unexpected treat.

She gave us so much that I also had to give some of it away to MN (my neighbor across the street) who was only too happy to get this off my hands.  The crisp edges were fun to break off and eat. Not shown was the regular lumpia we also had for lunch (not rolled the same way though).  As my parens get older, I have to keep reminding myself to call and visit them more often...

4 comments:

Mary said...

What a cute garden! I love that meatball soup with the clear noodles - my mom makes that sometimes and I love the little meatballs in the soup. And hooray for homemade lumpia - it's the best!

caninecologne said...

I love how my parents are so proud of their garden. What I love even better is when they want to share their 'bounty' with us!

That meatball soup is one of my favorites. She used to make pork meatballs but switched over to turkey to make it more healthy.

that lumpia was pretty good - nice, crisp and with those cool flared flaky edges.

Kirbie said...

I love garden updates =) Your parents garden always looks great. What is it about parents and gardening skills? My mom's garden is way better than mine. I grew the same kind of kale towards the end of last year and I was really happy with how they thrived even all through winter. I'm going to try to grow twice as many this year.

caninecologne said...

My parents have such green thumbs. Me,on the other hand,not so much haha. I am happy with how our kale is turning out as well. I'm sure your garden is more filled in since I last saw it.