
I saw online that there was a new coffee shop in town...

aptly named Imperial Grounds since it was located on Imperial Avenue...
The owners of the coffee shop also own the vintage store next door (it wasn't open the morning of our visit). All of the decor and furnishings in the shop are vintage which I really enjoyed seeing.

What's that in those jars? Dog biscuits for those with canine companions plus Peeps, a candy that used to be only offered during Easter season and in one color (yellow) but is now offered year round in a plethora of colors and flavors.


Sadly, there was only one, count 'em ONE pastry left - a lone chocolate croissant from Le Parfait Paris. Bert was hoping that they would've had his favorite, the almond croissant.





I was enamored with the vintage mod prints on each of the chairs; some of them had the Schiaparelli signature on them. I texted a few pix to Cathy of mmm-yoso and she said they reminded her of Finnish designer Marimekko.



Each chair had a unique fabric design!


Here was that LAST pastry...

My drink - The Hot Chick (White Heat mocha with toasted marshmallow syrup, whipped cream and toasted coconut, topped with a white peep!). I had to try it. The power of an Instagram photo. For some reason, I thought it was white chocolate but it was rich and smooth mocha underneath all of that fluffiness. The crunch and sweetness of the coconut gave this soe added sweetness and texture.



TC enjoyed the white peep (it was plain marshmallow flavor); it would've been awkward trying to drink this with the peep still on top!

For the record, we had FOUR drinks here but the Hot Chick was the only one worth taking a photo of since the other drinks (Bert's mocha, TC's chai tea latte and my Cuban coffee) were served in paper cups with lids on them. Not too exciting.
Despite that, I'm already planning a second visit...
One of the owners we met, Michelle, was super nice; the barista was also a very cool guy. It turns out that Michelle is a native Chula Vistan (a Hilltop grad) and was happy to know that we were also from her hometown.
Articles:
"Barrio Logan bound by coffee" SDCoffeeNetwork, Feb. 10, 2016
"The shops are opening in pairs along 30th St." SD Reader, Feb. 10, 2016
Imperial Grounds Coffee
2920 Imperial Ave
San Diego, CA 92102
(619) 692-0217
Here is their fb page + reviews from that four lettered site
I wish they would use real cups rather than paper cups. Perhaps they don't wish to wash dishes or something but coffee drinks look and taste so much better from real ceramic cups. The space looks quite promising and I definitely want to check out their vintage store next time!


No comments:
Post a Comment