
which has been experiencing a resurgence with many art galleries and eateries within steps of each other.
Por Vida ("for life" in Spanish) has a concise coffee menu with beans sourced from local roaster James Coffee in Little Italy.

The colorful wall on the right as you enter was designed by one of the co-owner's friends; he had just gotten out of prison and came up with this design as well as the black and white mural on their north wall.

Por Vida is not only a coffee shop but also a gallery which showcases local artwork; it is also a shop where you can buy local made crafts (jewelry, art, clothing, etc) as well as items from Mexico.
The VoG is everywhere here, represented in needlepoint, statues, and candles...



This was the mini store...

I loved the VoG stamp on Bert's coffee.
Bert ordered the espresso with canela (cinnamon) and brown sugar while I had the iced horchata latte (horchata is rice milk) which had a hint of cinnamon. While I'm not a biggest cinnamon fan, the cinnamon flavor was actually not so strong (yay); just a hint...

It was pretty refreshing since it was a pretty warm day.

Bert really enjoyed his warm drink...

I love this stamp!

Arturitu (get it?):


The folks here are super nice and chill. It turns out they were from the South Bay like us and when we queried each other which high schools we went to, it was like an instant connection. For the record, they didn't go to our alma mater, but still, if you grew up down here, everyone is cool with each other. One of their customers turned out to know one of my co-workers and owned a local shop nearby. Such a small world!
And before I end this post, here's a quick peek at that mural outside:

Who else went to Por Vida?
Coffee in San Diego's post from December 2015
Articles:
"Renaissance on Logan Avenue" SD City Beat, July 21, 2015
and a more recent article by SD Coffee Network, "Barrio Logan bound by by Coffee" Feb. 16, 2016 (both have great photos and background information on the owners as well as other businesses that are up and coming)
Por Vida
2146 Logan Ave
San Diego, CA 92113
(619) 397-3233
porvidasd.com
I can't wait to go here again. Their coffee menu is small so I know I can get through it within a few visits! Plus I'm curious to try that Mexican brownie!
Before heading home, we thought we would share a combo at the eatery next door. It's an old trolley car that's been there forever and has been repurposed as an eatery...


No comments:
Post a Comment