
(photo from my "Return to Del Mar Rendezvous" post, April 2014)
Even though I felt a tiny twinge of guilt, I thought about it and thought, "You know, FK it! Work will be there tomorrow. I need to to do this EVERY year, %$#@"!
I suppose my many years spent in my particular career have taught me obligation but sometimes you have to take time for yourself and what better day than your own birthday. I hardly ever take days off for anything unless I am sick as a dog so yeah, I did it and it was extra nice since my husband took the day off to be with me.
Using my birthday meal freebie, we returned to Del Mar Rendezvous, an upscale Chinese restaurant in (duh) Del Mar.

We got the Seafood Hot Pot, which Astroboi and I had last year (link posted at the end) and the Black Pepper Filet Mignon with brown rice. Dessert was free was well; it was the white chocolate raspberry cheesecake with raspberry sauce. We ended up taking it home (we had our cooler; prepared yes!) for TC since I was already sugared out from earlier today.

The beef dish was so delicious - tender beef and flavorful sauce. The chili oil sauce had a good kick to it as well.

I remember Astroboi and I liked this so much last year that I wanted it again so Bert could try it. They were generous with the seafood in here. The scallops and shrimps were a good size. We wanted to savor the sauce later with rice.


Heading south along the coast, we passed by Torrey Pines State Beach to get to the Glider Port near UCSD.


Bert hadn't been here before while I'd been twice two years ago (first with Cathy; second with TC and her friend)...


Bert remembers parking near here years ago when he was still an undergrad at UCSD. This was back when there was still a Third College, which is now Thurgood Marshall College, named after the first African American Supreme Court Justice as well as the lawyer for the landmark 1954 Supreme Court case, Brown vs. Board of Education (Incidentally, his 2nd wife, Cecilia Suyat was Filipina). It was called Third College since it originally emphasized community involvement and multiculturalism especially with its Ethnic Studies programs.
As you can see, it was a pretty clear and sunny day. Very good weather as well. Warm but not overly hot. Lots of folks were out today hang gliding, taking lessons and such.






Bert and I had fun watching the gliders sail effortlessly through the air. Personally I wouldn't do it; I am such a wimp, but Bert would probably be up for this kind of thrill seeking activity.
We still needed to pick up TC from school and track practice and wanted to avoid the traffic so we left before the rush. Our last stop before getting her was at this shopping center in La Jolla. I had a coupon for a free birthday cupcake from Sprinkles (where you actually have to get it on your actual birthday). Luckily, there was also another special going on because Sprinkles was celebrating 10 years of existence so there was also another separate coupon of getting a free cupcake because of this.


There was a long ass line with people waiting to get their free cupcake. I would be getting two free cupcakes (which I was glad they let me combine it) while Bert got a free one as well.


Praline for Bert (the nut covered one), red velvet for TC and Banana for me.


Enjoyed the next day but plated just for the photo shoot.

Later that evening, my parents dropped off a special birthday dinner for us, homeade pancit bihon, adobo (made dry and with fresh ginger and annato powder which is my mom's special touch) and macaroni salad. That was so nice of my mom to do this. She felt she needed to make me a noodle dish because noodles are traditional to eat on a birthday for "long life".

Instead of a birthday cake, we sampled the birthday donuts bought earlier that morning from Nomad (post linked at the end). I remember that mine was blueberry cream cheese. The others wer pomegranate acai and a chocolate glazed.

In all, a very fun birthday spent with Bert in the day and with our daughter in the evening!
Previous visit to Del Mar Rendezvous:
April 2014 with Astroboi
Previous visit to the Torrey Pines Glider Port:
June 2013 with TC and Sherlock
Previous visit to Sprinkles:
April 2013 my solo visit
My Birthday food crawl with Bert:
"Birthday Highlights 2015"
"Donuts 'n Coffee Deja Vu Birthday Edition - Nomad & Calabria"
"Street Art in North Park"
"Balboa Park"

4 comments:
Happy belated bday CC! I was just at the Sprinkle's center today (ate nearby at the Flame Broiler - blech). My sis is such a fan of Sprinkles and always pounces on any free-cupcake special they have. I have yet to visit the glider port in TP but might do so this week. I heard there's a sandwich cafe there - is it any good? I haven't returned to Del Mar Rendezvous in so long although I was just in that plaza few days ago for happy hour. I remember the food tasting nice but a bit pricey. Will have to remember to sign up for their bday specials.
Hello Faye, thank you very much! :)
Sprinkles cupcakes are okay but I've only had them 4 times in my life (twice because of my bday).I like how they color code their flavors and how clean and tailored their frosting is applied. As for the glider port sandwich place, I have not eaten there and cannot attest to whether it is good or not. Perhaps that is a future adventure for you. The bday special at Del Mar Rendezvous is a very good deal.
Yay for taking off your birthday! I do this every year now and I think it's best thing ever. It makes the day feel more special and why not celebrate yourself - you deserve it! I've never done the Del Mar freebie because I think Del Mar is a pain in the ass, haha. When I got the Sprinkles freebie last year I didn't have to get it on my birthday - did they change it back?
I love taking out-of-towners to the glider port. It has such fantastic views of the area and it's an easy place to park at and just watch the ocean for awhile. I would never go hang gliding. I'm certain the height would freak me out so badly.
Hellz yeah man. I'll be doing that from now on then. Give Del Mar Rendezvous a try. They do have great food and it's good quality too. I'd rather have a free meal from her than from a fast food joint. I always thought Sprinkles required you to get the free cupcake on your actual bday. If they changed it, yay, but if not, sux. It only worked out for me since I was off and out and about and it also coincided with their anniversary (so an extra cupcake I got!). I am NOT a thrill seeker and would be freaked out being on one of those glider things.
Post a Comment