
(The North Park Water Tower near Howard & Idaho St.)
In this case, we went with "old", as in celebrating their 65th Anniversary...

We've passed by it so many times while driving on the Boulevard...
They have their own parking lot which is handy. I hate using metered parking. On the western side of Rudford's is this blow up photo of Kennedy in his motorcade during his 1963 visit to San Diego.


I love that the restaurant still looks pretty much the same. It no longer says "air conditioned" on the little banner but "open 24 hours". Rudford's has been around since 1949, ten years younger than my parents. This place predates the baby boomers, but many of them are probably customers now.

We were told we could sit anywhere we liked. The waitstaff here was very nice (Latino men and one older Caucasian waitress).




I love the retro feel, like being in a timewarp down to the red leather chairs at the counter, booths and radiused corner windows.

TC ordered the French toast while I tried their version of Chicken Fried Steak.



Our breakfast...

Their hash browns had beautifully browned and crisp lacy shreds. I liked that the chicken fried steak was not smothered with gravy. Instead, the gravy was underneath. The steak breading was not crispy though and the meat itself was bland.

This was on the plain side but hey, this is Rudford's not Great Maple or Snooze.

Yes, but no.


My chicken fried steak at Manna was so much better.
Across the street (where we reparked in a free and untimed spot on a side street) was a coffee place I hadn't been to in more than a year, Coffee Tea & Collective.


My "go to" drink when at CTC, the Gibraltar and for TC the orange clove iced tea. They didn't have anything 'chai' so that was the dude's suggestion.

Cool optic artwork...

Our drinks:


I love the proportion of milk to espresso in the Gibraltar. The size is perfect, like a coffee shot (but bigger than a shot) but savored instead of gulped down, haha.


My favorite espresso drink besides the cortado and macchiato. I'm going to have to revisit all of the coffee places I've been in the past where I've ordered only iced or cold brew and try their espresso drinks for comparison.
Previous visit to Coffee, Tee & Collective (North Park location):
May 2014
Who else went to Rudford's?
Kirk - 2009
Rudford's
2900 El Cajon Blvd.
San Diego, CA 92104
(619) 282-8423
www.rudfords.com + their FB page + reviews from yelp & tripadvisor
A return to Rudford's is in order. Next time with both Bert and TC. I've always wanted to go here since it's been in San Diego forever...

No comments:
Post a Comment