
and endured a small bit of rain while on the 8...

Wolf's Head Pub & Eatery is kind of in a random spot on Fairmont Ave, near the Home Depot...
Just look for this cool sign...


We were curious to try this place; I remember seeing it at night when Astroboi took me around the neighborhood last month. Bert and I got here at a good time. One table was left inside. The night's entertainment had just arrived (a guy on guitar and a singer) and it was getting filled up both inside and outside on their patio (despite the rain).



Their lineup of local beers.

Hey, at least they let you know.

Flyer in the bathroom:

This is what we wanted to try, the Meatloaf panini.

Bert's Mike Hess Cream Ale (I liked the lovely color)...

In addition to the Big Bad Wolf (meatloaf panini with turkey and corned beef), we also ordered the Meatloaf sliders.


Bert chose potato salad with the panini while I chose a green salad with the sliders.

Of the two, I liked the panini much much better. The sliders were okay but I didn't really like the rolls which were kind of burnt. The server also got my order wrong; it was supposed to be pepperjack cheese but instead, there was cheddar. I didn't feel like having them do it over so cheddar it was. The meatloaf and corned beef was so good together although the corned beef was sliced really thin. It was just enough corned beef flavor.

I didn't grow up eating American meatloaf. We had Filipino style meatloaf called embutido but it was more of a special occasion food since it was time consuming to make. Back in the 70's, my parents would grind their own meat. My mom would shape the loaves, which are small and thin and wrap them in foil to be steamed. It tasted a whole lot more different than American meatloaf. For one thing, there were no hard boiled eggs inside or pickles or pimiento or grated cheese.
So, we enjoyed meatloaf two ways tonight but liked the panini more since the meatloaf was just so flavorful with the addition of corned beef.

Pardon the blurriness.

The awesome singer that night. She sang classic rock and some jazz...

Here is the sandwich in all of it's naked glory.

Before we left, they fired this up...It was just starting to get dry from the rain earlier.

Our servers were both really cool and very very nice. Even though it was super busy, our server came out several times to check on us. Bert had a nice chat with the guy about beers and the server even gave Bert a free taster of his favorite, the Mike Hess Habitus, which was super super hoppy. I didn't particularly care for it but Bert likes hoppy beers so he enjoyed it.

The view across the street before leaving.

This was such a great place. I wouldn't mind getting that meatloaf panini again but I would pass on those sliders. Not substantial enough and not as tasty as the panini.
Wolf Head Pub & Eatery
5981 Fairmount Ave
San Diego, CA 92120
(619) 218-3535
www.wolfsheadpub.com + their fb page
Here are the reviews from that four lettered site & tripadvisor
They also serve lunch here so maybe sometime this summer we will do a return visit...

4 comments:
we ate there last month which coincidentally was also on a rainy day! i tried the sliders too which we liked but now i think we'll have to get the panini to compare! dennis wanted to visit one more time before posting so hopefully ours will be up in the next month or so!
Those sliders were disappointing but the panini...I would totally have that again! :)
Whenever I search on Yelp for places near Jake, this place kept popping up so I'm glad you blogged about it! Meatloaf panini sounds pretty good - though I make a really good meatloaf, so I'm often skeptical of getting meatloaf in restaurants. It looks really tasty though, especially with the added corned beef.
Mary,
Well, I'm glad that you read my post then. You have to try this place. That meatloaf panini was so good. Do not get the meatloaf sliders. Not worth it.
Post a Comment