"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Monday, June 22, 2015

"A Fair to Remember" - The SD Fair 2015 Part 2: What we ate

On to the food...

This was our first stop...

because I was craving something fried. We both agreed on the onion rings...

This was a departure from our normal Australian Battered Potatoes. The cheapest serving is now $14. What? I remember when it was $9 and thinking that was a lot of money. We saw some guy walking off with a BUCKET of those potatoes. He must have paid about $30. I hope he was sharing it with someone.

TC sent us this photo of the deep fried cheese curdsd she shared with her friend. You can see the zip lock of watermelon and pineapple; we packed fruit snack bags for the girls.

For lunch Bert got his Pastrami sandwich at Grinders, the same folks who made the awesome cauliflower sandwich last year but not again this year, which sucked because I really wanted one.

Was this the world's best? Uh, far from it. He still liked it, but it looked like more bread to me. The meat was on the dry side.

Since there was no cauliflower sandwich, I got the artichoke sandwich from Roxy's. It ended up being $11 (.75 extra for avocado). Prices went up over the past couple of years. Bert and I split our sandwiches so we could have one of each. I ended up not eating the bread for both sandwiches.

I also packed a fruit salad for us as well as salad greens with tomatoes. Health conscious I know but I honestly didn't want to eat all that fried crap. This may be a boring food fair post since we didn't eat any of the wierd fried stuff, like Fried Starbucks (coffee flavored fried dough), or the peanut butter stuffed fried pickle, as well as the chocolate covered pork rinds. I'd rather eat the chocolate covered bacon but been there, done that.


We ate in the shaded garden area...

Later, Bert and I snacked on some kettle corn and sipped on a mocha freeze.

After seeing more exhibits, we shared a funnel cake and strawberry lemonade.

I saw on Instagram some place (not at the fair, but in Alhambra) that makes ice cream sandwiches with funnel cakes. Now that's an interesting twist.

The strawberry lemonade was my favorite drink of the two. The pastrami sandwich wasn't that great but didn't entirely suck. Maybe next year we will be more adventurous.

www.sdfair.com

Previous Fair food post:
2014 - The Fab Fair (this posts links all previous posts from 2010-2013)

Hopefully you can all check out the SD Fair this year and maybe try some of the more wacky food items!

4 comments:

Cathy Doe said...

You still seem more adventurous than us, but we've got three or maybe four more days to go back. I'm thinking the peanut butter stuffed bacon wrapped deep fried pickles. Again, no carbs.

caninecologne said...

Thank you Cathy. We really weren't feeling it for the fried stuff, other than the funnel cake. My nephews and TC (a few days ago) ate the deep fried cookie dough and the deep fried klondike bar which they all loved. Ah, to be young again and not worry about calories, haha.

Mary said...

My friend and I were talking about how great the cauliflower sandwich was last year, too, so I was sad to see it wasn't back! Brussell sprouts sandwich? Uggggh, no thank you. I can't believe they replaced it with THAT.

caninecologne said...

Yeah, Cathy told me about the brussel sprout sandwich which had all these weird flavor combos like cream cheese, jalapeno with hoisin and sriracha sauce or some crap like that. too much! too much at once! ugh!