Over in the House of Pacific Relations International Cottages were educational exhibits as well as artists selling their works...

I really liked this painting by local artist Izzy Inocenio; the word "Balboa" is in the shape of a bangus, or milkfish. For every event he is a part of, he creates a specific painting for it (saw it on his IG). Although the artists wasn't there at his booth, I did meet his brother and bought a couple of postcards of his artwork of fighting roosters and the Coronado bridge...
The House of the Philippines was busy with many different activities and a lawn program featuring the Harana Men's Chorus as well as the PASACAT Junior Company (youths 5-12 years old) and other youth dancers.

I saw this elderly lolo wearing an awesome Barong Tagalog, the traditional dress shirt of the Philippines. It is sheer and usually embroidered and made of woven pina (pineapple) or jusi (mechanically woven but originally made of abaca or banana silk). This particular barong had a purple ombre effect and was quite stylish.

The kiosk was filled with display boards from Prof. Felix Tuyay's students over the years (Felix teaches American and Ethnic history at Southwestern College) depicting important historical figures, events, and social movements in Philippine and Filipino American history. These boards have been exhibited at many Filipino American cultural events in the past and it was nice to see them out again, educating the general public, both Filipinos and non-Filipinos alike.

Here are just a few of them, such as St. Louis World's Fair 1904 (more info here, here" and and here about this sad chapter in American history) in which native Filipinos were exhibited like wild savages, keeping in mind that the Philippine Islands were a relatively new acquisition as a result of the spoils of the Spanish American war. Under American rule, indigenous tribes were shipped over as "curiosities" to the public.

UFW and Delano Grape Strike (more info from my previous post about the Delano Manongs Documentary) in which Filipinos played a pivotal role in this important event in labor history.

Sakadas and Alaskeros, two of the groups who comprise the second wave of Filipino migrants to the U.S....

Gabriela Silang, a revolutionary leader and wife of Ilocano rebel leader Diego Silang. After her husband was assassinated, she took over leadership against the Spanish regime but was executed by the Spaniards in 1763. She is often depicted wielding a bolo knife while on horseback.

Philippine American War (more info here, here and here), another atrocious chapter in American history...

PASACAT also had quite a large booth with educational boards and an extensive display of costumes from the various regions of the Philippines, all of which are the personal collection of its executive director, Ana Maria Labao Cabato (daughter of a WWII war veteran/War Bride and pioneer Filipino family).




A nipa hut, or thatched roof stilt house. My maternal grandparents had a nipa hut near their property in the province; their good friends lived in it. I remember my brother and I enjoying climbing up the bamboo ladder and helping clean the split bamboo floor with halved coconut shells. Below the house were the family's pigs, chickens, and ducks. On the grass is a banig, or native woven mat. During my childhood, we sat on those banigs during family picnics. My parents still have it. You can buy these at Filipino markets.

The nipa hut is considered an icon of Philippine culture as it represents the 'bayanihan' spirit (the communal effort to reach a common goal. Sometimes you will see paintings often showing townspeople carrying a hut. Kind of like the Philippine version of an Amish barnraising.
(image from gmanetwork.com)
A mural depicting this weekend's events by local Filipina American Artist Cecilia Linayao (who also painting the koi point/reflection pool for the Botanical Garden mockup at the San Diego Fair).

This new work was part of the art project.


Now let's get to the food! It was crazy busy for all three days. Some of the booths even ran out of food which of course, wasn't that great for folks wanting to eat something. There were the usual suspects like kettle corn, shave ice, and even a Rita's Italian Ice Cream booth was there. In addition there was L&L Hawaiian Barbeque and Chesa Kusina (a hybrid Guamanian/Filipino food booth), and an dessert booth from LA, Ice Cream Garden.


Ice Cream Garden LA - I'd never heard of them before. Since lactose and I aren't friends anymore, I had to vicariously enjoy these pics from TC and her friend (second pic is from her friend's IG). TC got the mint ice cream in a "dirt cup".

Cute!

Here is the other side with the stickered logo.

Chesa Kusina - The folks working here were supernice. I met Emmy one of the owners (she liked my purple glasses and nail polish).


I liked their informational board!

While I didn't get these, it was nice to see this flavor combination in a cupcake.

One of the dessert booths was Point Loma's very own Cravory Cookies. I was excited when I saw their sign for their halo halo cookies. This was the first time I would be able to try one. (check out Kirbie's post about their various cookies including the elusive Halo Halo cookie)

It's on the far left. I totally wanted every flavor but no, I just got the Halo Halo.


The verdict? Not quite halo halo tasting since you don't get the sensation of the crushed ice, but it had the flavors down to the taro, coconut, and sweet red beans.

From the Chesa Kusina booth, I bought a calamansi cooler. Next door at the Kettle Corn booth, I got Bert a lemonade and caramel corn for us to share (TC ended up sharing the bag with her fellow dancers later). This was our view from the shade of the PASACAT booth.

So refreshing, this calamansi cooler.

Also from Chesa Kusina, their longganisa with garlic rice ($3 for the links alone +$2 more with the rice)


They sold out of lumpia and meat skewers early. They also offered arroz caldo (rice porridge with chicken), which I thought was a great choice, even though it was hot. If anything, I wished there were more booths selling Filipino food since this was a Filipino event.
Later I went back to the International Cottages area and checked out Izzy's art booth again. I thought this map of Southeast San Diego was pretty unique. He had all of the 'hoods down. Not mine though (Southside for Life!) but still, cool to see.

From the Japanese Tea Pavilion, a pair of sushi cones filled with California roll ingredients (they ran out of rolls), edamame beans (had to have something healthy) and a soba salad with chicken and walnuts.


We snacked on this throughout the afternoon. It was such a long weekend. Sunday was more for the childrens' performance which we skipped. The Spreckels Organ Pavilion was only utilized for the event's first two days.
Links:
House of the Philippines - houseofthephilippines.org
Cecilia Linayao - www.cecelialinayaofineart.com
Isauro Inocencio - paradiseskills.com
The BPC2015PAC was truly an epic event. We enjoyed the the variety of the free entertainment provided and the quality and professionalism of the dancers. As a second generation Filipina American AND local San Diegan born and bred, I felt proud of my heritage and that my motherland's culture was depicted in such a positive light to all who visited Balboa Park that weekend. I surely hope that this event will continue next year provided that there is enough community support and of course funding to bring back many of these class acts not just from San Diego, but statewide and even internationally.

2 comments:
Thank you for this. Learned a lot that I would've skipped over otherwise.
Thank you for reading Cathy. There is a meaning behind everything and Filipino American history is important to me.
Post a Comment