
This was San Diego's infamous June gloom...
Bert and I dropped off TC at the Spreckel's Organ Pavilion so she and various Philippine dance groups could practice blocking for the upcoming Balboa Park Centennia 2015 Philippine American Celebration which kicks off tomorrow, June 5th and ends on Sunday, June 7th.
While they practiced, Bert and I had a tiny bit of dinner (not a full dinner, eh) at a place I'd been wanting to revisit since last Fall.

The massive space in front of the SD Museum of Art is now car free and has been since last summer. A new addition is more seating (benches, chairs, tables with umbrellas). While it can't be seen in this photo, there was another seating area with fake turf. I read in the papers last year that giant beanbags were also purchased. I wonder how long those will stay intact.We didn't see them earlier this evening.
So, yes, we wanted to check out Panama 66 once again.

I don't remember there being two separate lines last time but it turns out the bartender rang us up on the same bill.

Another rarity like last week when I went out to Romesco's, it felt a bit "odd" going out on a weeknight. However since tomorrow is my last day of work, I didn't care, haha! So, we both had drinks, Bert tried the Societe Harlot Belgian Blonde while I went with the Cafe Cubano cocktail.

The bar's setup...

We sat on the other side of this wooden sculpture/wall.

Our drinks...


And here is another (and better) view with the Museum of Man and part of the California Tower as a beautiful backdrop.

This cocktail was so good...I could have this everyday.

It consisted of rum, cold brew coffee,tiramisu liquer and soy milk.
As for the food, we shared the Tiger Fries, the Burrata Salad and the House Sausage sandwich.


Everything tasted as good as it looked.



The fries, while tasty, were kind of short making it not so fun to eat as long thin pieces. The sauces were house made ketchup and a creamy dipping sauce.

The burrata salad was so delicious with the mixture of flavors and textures - Spring mix with creamy burrata, candied pecans, grilled peaches, a light raspberry vinaigrette as well as fresh raspberries. I loved it and would gladly have this again.

The Andouille sausage was topped file cream (accent aigu over the "e", so it is pronounced 'fee-lay'). I was pleasantly surprised to see that since file is an ingredient used in making gumbo; it is seasoning made from ground sassafras leaves with a tiny bit of a root beer flavor. It made sense for the flavor combination because of the sausage.The slaw was green onions with endive which provided some sharp bitterness. This was perfect for us to share.


I noticed the back page. They had Sat 6/6 twice.

Looks like we went on a good night. Because of weddings, they wouldn't be open on Saturday (when we also wanted to come back).
Previous visit to Panama 66:
"Panama 66 and the SDMA Sculpture Garden" September 2014
Bert and I (along with TC) will have to come back sometime during the summer break. This is probably one of the better places to eat in the park. Of course, with the great food and beer and cocktail selection, it makes it a great place to sit back and enjoy the park as we did this evening.

7 comments:
The Mister and I really need to stop here; it looks really good. Usually we pass on one of the 'free Tuesday' museum events and it's crowded. With the Centennial, it will probably be more crowded.
Catny,
I think you guys would really like it here. It's in such a great location. The food choices are much better than the average food kiosk at the park.
ok, i can't spell. Cathy.
I never knew about this place but I don't visit Balboa park often. Where do you guys park? The draft beers seem nicely priced (that was a good pic of the beer offerings). The sausage sandwich looks yummy. Thanks for the tip about the weddings. Friends were wanting to go to The Prado but I'll let them know about Panama 66 as well.
Hi Faye, if we go early enough, we like parking behind the Spreckels Organ Pavilion.
The fries and the sausage sandwich look so good. Such a pretty spot in the park, too. Looks like it's dog friendly with it's outdoor seating. Last time I was in Balboa Park was for December Nights - I don't like it when it's crowded there but it is such a beautiful spot in town.
I wouldn't mind coming back here again! :) I believe it is dog friendly. We saw some folks with dogs that evening.
Post a Comment