"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Saturday, June 13, 2015

Amarin Thai

Yesterday Mr. TJ and I took a few former students out to lunch...

Although hidden in the photo above, Amarin Thai is right next to the Alibi bar in Hillcrest, right on the corner of University and Richmond. It's also across from Filter Coffee House.

You can't miss this wall on the side of the Alibi...

This was the first time I'd ever seen it but TC has seen the wall on other peoples' Instagrams.  I didn't contribute to the wall but others did, some are hilarious (and even X-rated)...

A few steps away from the "Before I Die" wall is Mr. TJ's favorite Thai place. After looking up info on Amarin, I was pleasantly surprised to find out that Nok Suree Suksudecha, Executive Chef also has another location in Mira Mesa, Siam Nara.

I wasn't sure what to expect but I was interested in their special "sidewalk" menu...

There are two main dining areas (one darker; this one had more light) plus a covered patio out on the side. There isn't as much gold as in Siam Nara but the decor was quite nice as was the attentive service.

Their menu which also can be viewed online here:


I was happy to see that they offered E-San Fried Rice and wavered between two chicken dishes (Lemongrass and Fried). The fried chicken with sticky rice won out.


Everyone else ordered from their lunch specials menu which is pretty standard.

Their fresh spring rolls which they called Thai wraps - the filling was vegetables and tofu and served with both a plum and a peanut sauce.

From the lunch specials menu, Drunken noodles with chicken. The soup according to our former student was kind of weak as in watery and flavorless.

Another ordered the green curry. It was his first time to have Thai food ad he didn't quite like it, eating everything but the curry chicken.

Mr. TJ and another lunch companion both got the yellow curry (his with chicken, the other with tofu).

I liked how they compartmentalized the food.

As for my Hat Yai Fried Chicken...it was presentely quite nicely with a pad of sticky rice inserted into a banana leaf cone. This is chicken marinated in spices and fried until crispy. It was topped with fried shallots and fresh cilantro and served with a side of sweet chili sauce. It was so delicious. There were two big pieces, the thigh with part of the bag and a back piece.


The fragrance of the fried chicken was maddeningly delicious! I could taste the lemongrass in the spice paste used on the chicken skin.

This was such a tasty meal. I was surprised and happy that they had a streetfood/sidewalk menu as options instead of the standard curry, noodles, rice and pick your meat combo.

Amarin Thai
3843 Richmond St.
San Diego, CA 92103
(619)296-6056

www.amarinsandiego.com + reviews from y*** & tripadvisor & zagat sd & SDReader

Mr. TJ who normally isn't adventurous food-wise, really picked a good one this time. Almost everyone of us save for the Thai food newbie, enjoyed their respective meals. I would't mind returning with Bert and TC to try more of their sidewalk menu.

2 comments:

Mary said...

The sidewalk menu does look more interesting to me, too. Your chicken looks delicious - looks like crunchy goodness. I like the presentation of the rice, too. It looks like a rice popsicle or something.

caninecologne said...

To be honest, I thought it would be a gringofied Thai place since it was in Hillcrest, but the Sidewalk menu proved to be a pleasant surprise.

Ha ha, rice popsicle! :)