
(image from pinterest/cuteplush.com)
Last week TC and I had a few errands to do and I bought a seasoning mix from Marukai...
which looked like this. I was actually attracted to it because it had multicolored vegetable flecks (including carrot and red cabbage). I have no idea what the Japanese characters say but I figured it was a rice topping or seasoning mix.


Very colorful, eh?

TC made several triangle shaped onigiri flecked with salmon for her school snack. I was pretty pleased by her initiative in making this. The other day, I marinated two cross-cut salmon steaks from Seafood City with calamansi (from our backyard tree), soy sauce, honey, and sesame oil.
TC flaked the salmon and mixed it into freshly made but somewhat cooled down rice. She then shaped it into a triangle, added nori strips and wrapped it in plastic. It looks so cute. She really liked the salmon onigiri we had from Cream Pan back in December. In fact, here was the selection at the counter (salmon is at the far left):

And here it is unwrapped.

(photos from my "The Mandatory stop to Cream Pan - LA Roadtrip Day 1" Feb. 12, 2015)
I should buy more salmon this weekend so TC can make more of these! Yay for

6 comments:
I haven't been to Marukai in ages. I commend you for taking charge of not knowing the Japanese characters on the package but still buying it (and making a successful sushi item!). I like this 'recipe' and think TC made a nice product.
The Marukai Daiso store apparently has changed since Nov of last year (I asked). There's a lot more food and snacks and no more of that cheap crappy (but cute) stuff they used to sell. No more $1.98 stuff or whatever they priced it as. I kind of like it. They have SO MANY snacks and candies and assorted food items. I was overwhelmed at first. Thank you for your kind words about TC's onigiri making skills. :)
They moved the 1 Yen stuff to that other building next to the Market. I walked in one day in March and the guy at the cash register told me...the 'main'/larger Maurukai is now selling the more expensive stuff that that smaller building used to have. Still, there is always something I want in each of the buildings.
Thanks for the info Cathy. We haven't gone into Marukai Living, where they used to have all of the Hawaiian foodstuffs. I like all three stores, especially the Market. They have some really good deals sometimes.
Sorry for commenting so late but I'm just now catching up on posts. That pendant is so adorable. I love that TC takes the initiative to make these foods. Hmm, so will she become TT?
Hi kirbie, sorry for my late tesponse, heh heh. The pendant is indeed cute. When TC has her mind set on something, I like that she makes it or gives it a try. I thought about TT, but is the Filipino slang term for onus (titi), so, no to that.
Post a Comment