
Otay Farms Market...where I once bought the elusive Lay's Spicy Ketchup flavor chips sevderal years ago.

I noticed the signage on top of the building was new...
They usually have good sales on produce here but don't expect quality like Whole Foods or some other frou frou store.

Here is a close up of the new sign. I like it!

Compare it to the old sign! I'm not sure when the new sign went up but it's much more colorful and attractive.

(photo from my Return to Otay Farms Market" post, November 2012)
This posts has two past visits. Both visits had this in mind...fresh tortillas, $2.49 a dozen.

These were still warm in the bag! I couldn't help myself and tore one up in the car so I could eat it.

Before I left, I saw that they had Virgin of Guadalupe candles where were unceremoniously located atop a shelf of cat food.

That's kind of disrespectful. For my most recent visit earlier today, I saw that the candles along with the cat food were still there but that they had restocked on the Friskies.
While in line to pay for the tortillas, I saw these hanging cookies (they are pretty big) by the register. Hmmmm, coyotas. I wondered if they would be as good as Moreliana's version. Impulsively, I bought one of each flavor ($3.49, ouch/at Moreliana, they are only $1 each but smaller). I haven't opened them yet and plan to do it over the weekend. The flavores were chocolate with walnuts, milk caramel and guayaba (guava).

The King's Hawaiian bag they're lying on top of was a gift from Kirbie. I usually get compliments from baggers at Trader Joe's or Sprouts whenever I've used it. "I love their bread!"
Here's the second set of tortillas from my recent visit. The bag it's on top of is from Uwajimaya, a Japanese market from the Pacific Northwest. We bought it during our Portland trip in Spring 2009; this was from the Beaverton location. Whenever we've gone on a trip we usually get a bag or two from a local store (ex: Powell's Bookstore in Portland, Uwajimaya in Seattle, Super H-Mart in Niles/Chicago).

These tortillas are so $%#@ good! They are on the thicker side but crisp up so nicely when heated up on the frying pan. I could just eat these plain and be happy.
I thought the coyotas would have a lot of chemical preservatives since they were packaged. They actually don't. Their ingredients are pretty straight forward and pronounceable (wheat flour, vegetable shortening, sugar, and whatever the fillings were).

Our new favorite tortillas.

Thank goodness for Mexican markets!
Previous visit to Otay Farms:
November 2012
Since I was down in the area, I thought I would maximize my time by visiting several nearby panaderias....


4 comments:
We really like this market. The inside the store eat in area was one of my birthday week choices last year; chile relleno burrito and the spinach juice drink. They make a beautiful Dia de Los Muertos altar display each year.
I have to try their juices next time and their actual food (that chile relleno burrito sounds good). Can't wait to see their Day of the Dead displays later this year.
Mmmmm fresh hot flour tortillas. How do you not panic and eat them all when they're still steaming in the bag. I always worry they'll get soggy or something. That's sad about the candles :( And did you notice the number on the upside down price tag right below it.
Hi Faye - yes, so nice when fresh! That dozen lasted about 2 days! My friend (who is a very religious Catholic) thought it was a terrible place to put the candles. At least separate them. She also noticed the upside down price tag as well.
Post a Comment