"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Saturday, August 22, 2015

Beignets from Cafe du Monde mix

It's the weekend...

which means I can drink coffee...So a coffee soda for breakfast it was. This time using a dark roast from Caffe Calabria. The cup in the front is the simple syrup (made last week when we first made coffee soda), which is dark since I used raw turbinado sugar.

I asked Bert the other day if he could finally make these...

A gift from the lovely and generous Kirbie from her trip to New Orleans earlier this year. It was time to finally open it...

Bert was kind enough to make this since he knows that I hate frying things. He felt it was simple enough to make. We actually had to buy vegetable oil a few days ago since we had none. Ever so precise as well. Check out his perfect squares. If I tried to do this, they would be ragged.



Ha, our broken colander which we have yet to replace.  Well, for the first time, these beignets came out pretty good. I've only had them once, at the now defunct Cafe Fanny in Berkeley (which is now Bartavelle) while Bert has actually been to Cafe du Monde in New Orleans.


These taste when fresh freshly fried. Some of these came out nice and fluffy like this. A few others were thinner and then kind of deflated, making them not as pleasant to eat. These have a bit of a chew to them.

TC loved these and declared she could eat these "for the rest of her life".  She also remembered eating the Cafe Fanny beignets with jam. Bert said, "No jam! Just powdered sugar."  As you can see, we didn't dump a lot of powdered sugar on it like they do at Cafe du Monde (I hate messy foods).

For a peek at the actual Cafe du Monde and their famous beignets, take a gander at Kirbie's post during her visit to N'Awlins earlier this year.

Plus a relatively short video of how they make them:

Wow, I like the cutting/roller thing that makes perfect squares. Bert did his by hand. : )

This person kept calling them powdered doughnuts.  W.T.F.

Shit Mr. Gucci hat bro! Call them BEIGNETS!!!

This one batch made A LOT.  We also have quite a bit of that box left.  I say Bert should make these every weekend until they're gone!

4 comments:

Mary said...

Those are so very, very nice squares Bert made there. Good job, Bert! Yeah, I don't think you really NEED like, 2 cups on sugar on each one, haha. That's the benefit of making it yourself!

caninecologne said...

Thank you. He's a perfectionist like that. He'll have to make it again this next weekend! For research purposes!

Unknown said...

You have no idea how many times my sister and I wanted to buy this beignet mix when we were younger. We tried to convince parents to buy this particular mix AND a vietnamese coffee dripper thingy so we could have a coffee & donuts breakfast one day. They always said no way. I hate deep frying stuff at home too - it's so much oil AND what the heck do you do with the oil afterwards. I really hope to try out this beignet mix soon!

caninecologne said...

I've always seen the mix but never bought it so it was a treat getting it as a gift. Luckily my husband was game to fry up the beignets. I hate hate hate frying stuff and yes, the oil. It's not like you can reuse it (well I wouldn't) so it goes in an empty jar and we have to get rid of it as hazardous waste, haha.

Let me know how your batch comes out. I hope Bert does this again this weekend and they are fluffier.