"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Friday, August 07, 2015

Sunset Ice Shack

Our dessert would be in the neighboring community of Tierrasanta...

we would be going to this community tomorrow for the Prof's wedding...

but for tonight, we were headed to the Sunset Ice Shack...

I thought I'd make it "two for two" with my coupon usage tonight. It was close by so why not..

In between a laundromat and an "Asian spa" is this small unassuming (but apparently popular) Hawaiian ice place. They don't have signage on the actual building but you can't miss their banner proclaiming "shave ice". Here is yet another photo of Bert and the teen. She is almost 5' 3" and bemoaning that she thinks she "isn't growing anymore". I told her, "Hey at least you broke the 5' barrier! For a Filipino, that's pretty good!".


There was only one worker that evening, a really sweet high school girl. The tip jar read "college fund" which I thought was clever. I asked Bert to pick whatever he wanted for us to share and TC could also choose her own. Meanwhile, I admired their perforated robin's egg blue folding chairs, giant raised map of the world and surfer/tiki decor.




Their menu boards:




Bert chose "The Endless Summer" while TC had green tea shave ice drizzled with condensed milk on top and as the inner filling.

The flavor of her dessert was really quite strong. If you like green tea, it might be for you but man, it was really strong. She could barely finish it and ended up taking it home.

As for that Endless Summer, the flavors were mango, passionfruit,  and guava with pineapple coconut ice cream within. We really liked ours, much more so than the green tea.  I've had shave ice many times but never with ice cream inside. Methinks I'll be ordering it this way from now on, heh.


Bert chose a winner!


Check out this fake Jack Sparrow for their advertisement:


Sunset Ice Shack
10480 Clairemont Mesa Blvd.
San Diego, CA 92124
(858) 231-2225

Here is their fb page + the reviews from yelp and foursquare

As we were enjoying our shave ice, customers would come and take theirs to go. One seemed to be a classmate of the girl working. While the place looks like it's seen better days, it's nice to have a family friendly dessert place in this lonely strip mall.

2 comments:

Mary said...

Man, I wish I was 5'3" hahah! :)

Cute spot! Ice cream does sound like a good idea for the inside. I usually get tired of eating shaved ice about half way through (or sooner). I like their use of surfboards throughout the whole place.

caninecologne said...

Same here...the ice cream makes it a bit more fun to eat.