
we saw this painted roll up door on a side street...
Truer words were never spoken...
Quick random food post from the past few months...a recent visit to Junz with Bert. TC got the shrimp and California roll while I got the crab roll while Bert got the saimin (noodles) with vegetables and Spam.


Spam is pretty salty after not having had it for quite a long time. It's alright once in awhile but not everyday.
That same evening we got a couple of drinks over at Holsem...


Cucumber mint soda for TC:

Espresso Shake for us...this was FOUR shots of espresso with vanilla gelato garnished with coffee beans...

I was afraid I'd be wired, but it wasn't too bad. This was a pretty milky drink (from all of the gelato) and if you're lactose intolerant, might not be the best thing to have as we found out but got anyways in the sake of trying nearly every drink on their menu.
More recently, I had a training to go to and lunch was on our own so I went here...

I hate that they fixed the sign! D's Nuts sounds so much better!
My solo lunch at Kanpai across the street from KD's...the two item bento with fried oysters and grilled fish (in this case, mackerel)...

I love those fried oysters. The grilled fish was so good, especially with the finely grated daikon. No bones too since the portion was near the tail.

After our friends' wedding a few days ago, we stopped by the McD's in Tierrasanta for some fries. The reception was supposed to start at 4:30 but of course, that meant that dinner would probably start at 6 or 6:30 pm. I wanted something to snack on before we hit the no-host bar.



Fries are no longer on the dollar menu. This was a medium size fry. Hey, I haven't been to McD's in a while...I don't know these things.
Next to the CV location of Seafood City is Jochi Resto Grill. It's a small Filipino eatery with dine-in and take out options. They have food ready to go (steam tray/point-point style) and also cater for parties. We used them for some of the dishes for Bert's mom's milestone 80th birthday earlier this Spring. This particular visit, Bert and I just wanted lumpia. It was 10 pieces for $4 or $5. The sauce that came with it was weak and it was also cold which sucked. Cold sauce? WTH.


Because ONE religious figure is NOT enough.

There were framed photos of food on the walls. This one was kind of strange because there was a Lola (grandmother/old lady) in the middle of some sort of food arrangement. I wasn't sure if her picture was tacked onto it, or if she was standing behind something and stuck her head through. In any case, I found it odd.

The freshly fried lumpia with the crappy cold sauce:


I still like the lumpia from our local mainstay, JNC Pinoy Foodmart much better.
Whilst with co-workers, we stopped by the 2nd location of TJ Oyster Bar...this was my tostada de pulpo (chock full of hacked up tender octopus). The sauce was on the sweeter side...

Mr. TJ's trio of fish tacos...

My grilled shrimp taco - there were about 6 or 7 big pieces in here. As usual, it was excellent and filling.

Previous visit to Junz:
April 2015
Previous visit to Holsem:
July 2015
Previous visit to Kanpai:
April 2015
Previous post on McD's:
une 2012
Previous visit to TJ Oyster Bar 2:
March 2015
Jochi Resto Grill
289 East Orange Ave
Chula Vista, CA 91911
(619) 426-7804
There is no website but here are reviews from tripadvisor and yelp. They have steam trays there with a wide variety of Filipino favorites. This particular visit, we just stuck with lumpia for a snack. I'm not sure if I would go here to eat an actual meal, but we did like the food that we ordered from them for Bert's mom's 80th earlier this Spring. The ladies working here are really nice too.
I have so many more 'homeless' food photos that have yet to make their way onto a 'random food post' such as this...


2 comments:
At least the lumpia was freshly made! Though honestly I'd eat lumpia even if it was cold (homemade at least). The shrimps in the taco look soooooo good.
Cold sauce sux though Mary. :( I've had better lumpia. The shrimps at TJOB were plentiful. Gotta hand that to them.
Post a Comment