"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Sunday, August 16, 2015

Coffee 'n ice cream @ Holsem and Hammond's for D

As it is with all of the Educator GF birthday outings, this was a full on crawl...

After our lunch at Chi Extraordinary Kitchen, the next stop was a few minutes away in North Park at one of my favorite coffee places...

which, if you've read my blog since May and are observant, breathing and conscious, could only be Holsem Coffee.  Note, they now have glass domes over the baked goods. Such a great barrier to prevent the ingestion of poo particles from hairy legged flies.

Today was quite the scorcher...which called for some iced drinks.  "The Woods" for me on the left, "Nutella" iced for D and on the bottom, "L'Orange" for TORC.


I noticed they were served in plastic cups. Kirbie noticed on her recent visits that they also used these even though they were not 'to-go'.  Perhaps they don't want to wash the glass vessels anymore? Boo to plastic cups. The downside of iced drinks - no pretty latte art but yeah, it was way too hot for that.

Bert had The Woods one of the first times we visited; since then I've learned that you can get any drink iced. I liked it better this way and was glad that there was hazelnut milk in it rather than actual milk. The orange flavor in TORC's drink was quite faint. D noted that her drink was quite good and not too sweet.

Our original plan was to get dessert afterwards but we wanted to walk off some calories and also browse through some of the shops and boutiques (Mimi & Red, Shop Local and Pigment; the last a ridiculously overpriced hipster store featuring air plants, glass globes, beard tonic, artisanal caramels and such).

All that iced tea and coffee was having...an effect.  The nearest bathroom was here, at Hammond's.

D wanted to get a trio of cones (the mini flight) so that way it wouldn't be awkward to just use their facilities and then leave (although I would have no shame in doing so).



Our flavors were the three listed above...

D also ordered three wafer rolls...these tasted so good and reminded me of the kind N's mom used to make as sweet snacks when we were still in elementary school.

Kona Coffee Chocolate Chip, White Chocolate Macadamia Nut and Salted Caramel Espresso...

All great choices, if I may say so myself (I chose the last one). D really liked this place (her first time) because the bite size cones were perfect.  If you really think about it, who really needs a honking big ass scoop? You only needs a few good tastes before it gets to be overkill. So, in short, these cones get...

Ah yes, the days of "Men on Film" circa the early 90's on the short lived comedy sketch show, "In Living Color".

One of my friends recently visited Holsem, Mary (banana nut bread coffee,  yo'!). Kirbie also went several times but I am awaiting her post, in due time.

Previous visit to Holsem:
July 2015 with TC

Previous visit to Hammonds:
June 2015, but will post the link after I actually finish the post, ha ha.

It was finally time to get back into the massively hot car and make our way up to Kearny Mesa for dessert...

9 comments:

Kirbie said...

the plastic cups makes it so hard to get a good photo of the coffees =( I'm trying to work my way through the entire menu before posting, but it's taking me forever. haha. I have abouot 6 left I haven't tried.

Unknown said...

Oh gosh the iced coffee and baby waffle ice cream cones look so good right now. Do both places run their a/c (consistently)? I've been trying super hard to make it to Hammond's after hearing about it from you but can't get friends to agree to meet just for ice cream. So will have to find a better plan. Are the ice cream prices still the same?

caninecologne said...

Hi Kirbie
They used to never do that, use plastic cups, unless it was to go. Drinks looks so...ugly now. I have pretty much tried almost everything (food + drinks) except for the coffee float but I figure I can make that myself.

caninecologne said...

Hi Faye,
The iced coffee was actually quite good since it was so $%#@ hot yesterday. The tiny ice cream cones were good as well. I could only handle one after having had lunch plus coffee. They did raise the prices since last year. It used to be above $1.25 each (if you did the flight) but now it costs more. I read on Eater SD that Hammond's will be opening another store in PB (on Garnet).

caninecologne said...

Both places have AC.

Mary said...

I only have had the plastic cups, I've never seen the glasses! But I've always gotten it to go anyway. I tried the banana bread but it was a little too... banana tasting for me. I know, how weird. But usually banana bread doesn't taste like BANANAS it tastes like yummy bread haha. I tried the lemon one and I liked that a lot. I got it for Jake but he made a serious bitter face when he tried it. Oh well, more coffee for me :D :D

Cathy Doe said...

Either breakage, theft or having to run a dishwasher and sterile(HOT) dryer probably contributed to the use of plastic. Or maybe water restrictions...save water and Use disposables. I didn't know Hammonds had those sugar cones, we got ours in the tiny cake cones last year. What a fun day!

caninecologne said...

Mary,
Seems like they swtiched over to the lazy way then, plastic. :( Coffee should be enjoyed in an actual cup, unless it's to go obviously. But yeah, the presentation is lacking in a plastic cup. You should try the Gingersnap one.

caninecologne said...

Cathy,
True...makes sense but still. Plastic is so ugly. I should ask them next time I'm there (and I'm already plotting my next visit).

I didn't realize the cones were sugar until you pointed it out. I was in the bathroom while D ordered the flight. She chose the cones. Glad she did. I didn't like the cake/cup cones. The day was fun with a few curveballs inbetween.