"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Monday, August 19, 2013

Return to Neveria Tocumbo, Chula Vista

Located just up the street from El Charco is a Mexican ice cream place that used to be Baskin Robbins back in the day.

Unfortunately, it's in a nearly deserted and depressing looking strip mall. The restaurant behind it used to be "Jimmy's" and even that is shut down.  Only a few businesses remain including the animal hospital, which made for some fun "dog watching" as we enjoyed our icy treats...

If you are ever down in Chula Vista, try out their ice creams or paletas. Everything is made in house and in exotic flavors you won't find at most American ice cream places.

They also sell smoothies, mangeonadas, and Mexican style fruit salads here plus a small assortment of Mexican chips and candies.

Their scoops are very generous and quite affordable. One scoop is 1.59; a double is $2.85; their prices were up slightly since our last visit. When TC and I went, we had one scoop each and our total was $2.78!

These were their sorbets. TC chose mango and fresa (strawberry).

Here is the server getting me a sample of the Nanches (a type of yellow cherry-like fruit). Below it was the Mamey (a tropical fruit) which I had last time I was here.

More interesting flavors, like Chongos (creamy milk with cinnamon), queso (cheese), and elote (corn).

We splurged today and got doubles. There's TC's fruity combo and my cup with two interesting flavors...

The flavor on the left was "Bubu Lubu". I just HAD to get this flavor. It's named after a Mexican candy that features a bar of strawberry jelly and marshmallow fluff covered with chocolate. I've never eaten the candy and was surprised that TC knew what this was. Turns out that my dad bought her this sweet when she was small despite my pleas to not give her candy. Hmmm.

The flavor on the right as the one that I sampled. I wanted to get this the first time I tried it at the Chollas View location but the girl working the counter didn't personally like it and recommended another flavor instead (Ate de membrillo).  I think I found out why she didn't like it. More on that in a few seconds.

TC liked the look of this cross section. I liked the perfect mounds on top! Sir Mix a Lot anyone?  Mickey Mouse Ears? San Onofre? Dolly Parton?

We could barely finish my cup and ended up taking half of it home for Bert, who is always the lucky recipient of our leftovers.

Now back to that Nanches ice cream. It did taste faintly like cherry ice cream but with some "grit" perhaps due to the presence of several fruit pits! Other than that, I still liked the flavor.

If you get this flavor, be careful!

Previous visit to this location of Neveria Tocumbo:
January 2013

There is another location in Chollas View, across the street from Asia Cafe:
December 2012 - when we went with Thane, baby Thane, Tatonka and Mr. Saliva.

I don't think I'll wait nearly a year to go here again! I really liked trying the different flavors and want to try a few more unfamiliar ones for our next visit...

4 comments:

Kirbie said...

Mmm, the ice cream servings look huge and I like the sound of all those flavors. Not sure how I'd feel about finding pits in my ice cream though.

caninecologne said...

hi kirbie - the servings are quite generous here. the flavors are really neat, like grosella, mamey and nanches. yeah, the pits should be removed so that kids (or adults) don't choke on them.

Cathy Doe said...

There **was** a Neveria Tocumbo in El Cajon and it was my first experience with a fruiteria, tostilocos, paletas and all that home made ice cream. A soft spot in my heart for NT. Now I seek out these places and stop as soon as one is spotted. I think they are real inspiration for Jamba and all those other 'smoothie' and health food places...

caninecologne said...

hi cathy - yes, i remember your post on that. didn't it become shakira pastry?

i prefer the mexican fruterias over those frou frou jamba juice places anyday.