"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Sunday, August 25, 2013

Vietnamese Pork Chops

This next recipe I'm making for the pre-Teens' birthday party is one that I've made quite a few times in the past but never blogged it...

I first saw the recipe seven years ago from a Hawaiian based blog that was on Kirk's sidebar (you can even see the comment I made back in '06). It's pretty easy to make and is usually a crowd pleaser...



The ingredients...my garlic is "hiding" though.

I made the marinade ahead of time (as seen in the first photo), then a few hours later, Bert added it to the the pork chops. The meat can marinate for three to four hours and should be turned over occasionally.

I'll post a photo of the baked end result later.

Thit Heo Nuong (Vietnamese Pork Chops)
(recipe courtesy of Kaukautime, July 25, 2006)

Ingredients:
2-4 tsp brown sugar (I used 4)
2 tbsp fish sauce (I used the "Three Crabs" brand)
1 stalk green onion, cut into 1/2" sections (I used two stalks)
1 stalk lemongrass, crushed and roughly chopped
8 cloves garlic, crushed and minced finely
1 tbsp MSG (optional) I didn't have any MSG and would have preferred it without anyways
2 tbsp canola oil
fresh cracked black pepper
6-10 boneless pork loin chops (I used the bone-in)

Directions:
  • Combine and mix well - sugar, fish sauce, green onions, lemongrass, garlic, black peper and oil
  • Pour over chops in a shallow dish
  • Marinate 3-4 hours, turning meat occasionally
  • Grill over charcoal or bake in a 350F oven for 45 mint to 1 hour, or until cooked well done
Bert liked the smell of the marinade, thanks to the crushed and chopped lemongrass and the massive amounts of minced garlic.

I know there's going to be a lot of food there. Bro is making bbq chicken and steak. My parents are bringing some sort of noodle dish, and probably pinakbet. Then there's all the stuff I'm bringing, so yeah....and before I forget, I have to make some nuoc cham to go with this!

2 comments:

Dennis K. said...

Looks good! And I'm joying going through KauKauTime. I had vietnamese today so I think you influenced me. :)

caninecologne said...

Hi Dennis,
Ha ha, we were on the same wavelength! I like the Kaukautime blog. He has some good recipes on there!