
The long list of ingredients was a bit daunting and the prep work a bit tedious, but I had most of the ingredients and thought I'd give it a go...
Here's the produce for the slaw...

And here are the ingredients for the dressing...Missing in action is the rice wine vinegar. It's not an ingredients I use at all. I actually had to buy the apple cider vinegar for this recipe. I only like vinegar in adobo, but other than that, I dislike the small and taste of vinegar.

It was a time consuming effort, chopping, shredding and dicing the vegetables. I had some help from Bert so that helped out...
This was the slaw before I mixed in the dressing.

Now, with the dressing...

It looks pretty good, I must say!
Apple Slaw
(recipe from Stone Brewing World Bistro & Gardens - San Diego Home & Garden Lifestyles, p. 106, May 2013)
Ingredients:
1 small head of green cabbage
1 small red onion
2 carrots (I used three)
2 green onions, sliced
1 bunch cilantro, chopped (I removed the stems)
1 Granny Smith apple, cored and julienned
1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar (I didn't have any so I used more apple cider vinegar)
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar (I increased it to 3/4 cup because I didn't have the rice wine vinegar)
2 tbsp honey
1 tsp powdered ginger
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp sesame oil
2 tsp mayo
1/4 cup canol/olive oil blend
salt and ground white pepper
Directions:
- Shred cabbage, red onions and carrots.
- Mix in a large bowl with green onions, cilantro, red bell peppers and apple. Set aside
- Mix the vinegars, honey, ginger, garlic, sesame oil, and mayo in a small bowl
- Drizzle in canola/olive oil slowly, whisking until the dressing is emulsified. All of the oil may not be needed (I used it all)
- Season with salt and pepper to taste
- Add the dressing a little at a time to the vegetables. mixing well.
- Chill until ready to serve...

Not only did this look good, but it tasted just as delicious!
At the last minute, I added some roasted sesame seeds on top to add extra flavor and a tiny bit of crunch.

I just hope that everyone else at the party will like it. If not, more for us, heh heh!


No comments:
Post a Comment