It's the return of these...

I wonder if that's a good thing or not? For junk food lovers, it would be the former. For the granola/slow food/farm fresh/holier than thou healthy food freaks, we're all going to hell in a handbasket if we even gaze upon these cellophane wrapped monsters...
But hey, I'll take my chances...
Don't call it a comeback!
I was actually looking for San Diego magnets for a visiting cousin at Wal-Mart. They were out which sucked. So TC and I went to a nearby Walgreens. While they had no San Diego souvenirs whatsoever, we did find a box of Twinkies going for $3.99 for a box of 10. I don't know if that's a bargain or not. I haven't seen it in other stores so I didn't really "price check". But WTF...we haven't had one of these in years. Note, these photos are taken in the CAR, haha. We couldn't wait until we got home.

Didn't these use to be wrapped in foil?

They look smaller too. But there they are...the familiar golden yellow spongy tube cakes filled with who knows how many artificial ingredients. Aaaah, a mostly verboten childhood treat. My parents were smart in restricting our intake of these infernal cakes. We hardly had them, but when we did, my siblings and I would snatch our "share" and because we were three, would divide the remaining Twinkies in exact thirds.

As an adult, I now find them way too sweet. I could only handle a few bites before putting it away. TC, on the other hand, finished hers off. Remember, she is 12 (going on 13) and has the metabolism of a hyper squirrel.

Although we were initially excited, we both knew these were empty calorie bombs but that first bite was still pretty damn good. All in moderation folks. Moderation is the key. At least they weren't deep fried.
And for nostalgia's sake:
Love the mom's Dorothy Hamill hairdo! I love the look of the old boxes too, especially the one with the Twinkie mascot.
*The Harry Potter "Half-Blood Prince" t-shirt featuring Ron Weasly was bought back in 2009 for TC. It was pretty large on her and now it fits her just right. It's funny how she still held on to that shirt and still wears it.
Let's see how long the box will last...


4 comments:
I've always just thought Twinkies were "okay". I ate one last fall and honestly didn't think I would miss it (I didn't). I did miss Zingers though! Still waiting to see if those make an appearance, too. I've seen the Twinkies, donuts and pies so far!
Hi Mary, oh, I remember those Zingers! I liked peeling off the top layers!
If I had had one of these, unlabeled, I would think it was a poor imitation of what I remember being a Twinkie: tastebuds (or memory) change as we age. I liked going to the Wonder Outlet store and picking up a pie or package of bright pink snowballs (or, a few years ago, the original banana Twinkie) along with some marked down but not quite day old bread.
Hi cathy, I remember the banana Twinkie. It tasted so artificial. These seemed much smaller and more "anemic" than the ones I recall from my youth.
Post a Comment