TC and I liked El Charco so much that we went AGAIN the next day...

This time, with Bert! One more person means more choices too!
We were the only non Mexicans in here, which was a good sign. Lots of families were there and nearly every table was full. Even though it was nearly noon, there were quite a few folks eating breakfast items; one table even had maple syrup. The server from yesterday remembered us too, which was nice. She was quite busy taking orders from a large group so we were helped by a really nice gentleman who might have been a manager.
We love the variety of condiments here...

Here's their breakfast menu...

"Entomatadas" means "covered with tomato sauce", "enmoladas" means "covered with mole"...

Mmmm, I want to try one next time.

I'm curious about their pecan pudding too. Next time, eh.

Total carb fest.

Bert had a Cafe de Olla.

Here's a look at the meat spit...which smelled so good!

We had the horchata again, along with Bert's Mexican coffee.

It was kind of thick and grainy, especially at the end. He didn't think it tasted bitter, but I thought it did. It wasn't served piping hot either. I'm not sure if it's supposed to be served "warm" rather than burning hot.

Our entrees - two plates of Alambres and TC's single tacos...

We remembered from yesterday our server's recommendation to try their Alambres, a Mexico City specialty. La Ley also said these were quite good, so we ordered two. This was Bert's al Pastor. The pork was mixed with green peppers strips,bacon, and onions. Cheese was extra, but it really made the difference. The menu said it was supposed to have three tortillas. There were actually FOUR! Yeah!

TC's Pastor taco. She was kind of disappointed that there was only ONE measly pineapple piece on it. There were a few more the day before. Maybe we should have asked for more or something.

This was the pastor taco...

The other single taco was Chorizo, for TC.

The other Alambre was Shrimp - same fixings, but with chopped up shrimp. Again, it came with four rather than three tortillas. No cheese in mine.

I wanted Bert to try the Flor de Calabasa quesadilla, so it's back by popular demand...

Chock full of squash blossoms and cheese, yo.

He really liked it. TC said, "Ultimate Noms", ha ha.

We'll be going here a few more times in the near future! I might be brave enough to try Huitlacoche in a quesadilla!
Or not.
We'll see!
Inaugaral visit:
Uh.....Yesterday
I can't believe that August is nearly over. This was the month from hell (workwise). My brain needs a vacation which isn't until late September. I'm counting down the days already, haha.


9 comments:
Mmm, cheese. :D
It must be delicious if you guys went back the very next day! We usually go to Tacos el Gordo if we're ever in the South Bay, but this looks like it should be part of my line-up!
hi mary - yes, cheese makes everything better!
hi jinxi - it's pretty rare for us to do that but i liked it so much that we went back pretty quickly. this is a must stop for mexican food, along with asi es jalisco (for their birria), aqui es texcoco (if you like lamb), and don vicente (menudo and pozole).
I understand completely. There are only two places we have ever gone back to within 24 hours. Now I'm trying to justify a trip South...and I will.
hi cathy, if you're up for it, let me know if you guys go down south. i'd love to join you!
The Flor de Calabasa quesadilla looks amazing! What kind of cheese do they use for that dish?
hi faye, i believe the cheese is monterey jack. omg, it's so good!
Re: Cafe de Olla...the traditional way to make is in a clay "olla" pot, and the ingredients/flavors steep together. It won't stay hot-hot and if you don't use a fine filter, the pieces of cinnamon, clove, orange peel and possibly coffee grounds will be part of the cup. But you can make it in a French press, so that the ingredients are able to be filtered. It's the only 'flavored' coffee I like.
Thanks for the info on the cafe de olla cathy. i knew that olla was a clay pot, but wasn't sure of the method. bert really liked the coffee.
Post a Comment