"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Return to Love Cupcake Cafe

[Update- Closed as of March 2016]

As I headed east on Birch, I could see a big thundercloud looming ahead in the distance...

This was the same day that several thunderhead clouds merged to become one giant supercloud that ended up soaking East County...


Located at the southeast corner of Birch and Eastlake Parkway is the strip mall that also has In 'n Out Burger, Vons, and this fairly new cupcake place. I had a coupon from the mails we get at home. I barely made it on time. The coupon was only effective BEFORE or AFTER Cupcake "Happy Hour" which is from 3-5 pm Mon-Thurs. I got there at 2:55 pm. Not that the girl at the counter was checking the coupon details though...

I remember when this place used to be Tutti Frutti Yogurt, which we miss.

The deal, if you could call it a deal, was Buy 3, Get 1 Free. Each cupcake is $3.25. Getting four makes is $2.43 each.

Flavors included Hummingbird, Snow Ball, Pumpkin, Lemon Blueberry, Apple Pie, Rainbow, Love (which is like a faux Ding-Dong), Carrot and another flavor I can't remember...

The other case held Banana Split, Red Velvet (I got one for TC), Flan (last time I got this, the flan piece was kind of small, so I passed up on it), Black Forest, Black Bottom, S'Mores, two unidentified flavors (probably vanilla and chocolate), Mint cookies & cream and Pina Colada.

I already made my four selection and when I went to pay, I noticed these other flavors around the corner, dammit. These were Chocolate Dulce de Leche, Coffee, and Tres Leches. I'll have to try that chocolate one next time.

The cupcakes survived the ride home...

We're ready for our close up now...

The cupcakes are bigger than normal and were very very moist and flavorful...

TC's Red Velvet:

The Salted Caramel for Bert. This was not in the front display but the girl mentioned they just made a batch.

My Hummingbird (banana, coconut, and pineapple) - not as good as Jennywenny's, but close!

And lastly, the Love cupcake, which was like a gussied up cream filled Ding Dong.

Here is TC lighting up her lone candle...

Making a wish...

Plus a repeat from the last post...sampling our cupcakes later that evening...

Of the four cupcakes, I liked mine the best, followed by Bert's. My least favorite was the Red Velvet, not because it wasn't good because it was, but because I found the other flavors more interesting.

Previous visit to Love Cupcake Cafe:
July 2013

Again, not a daily indulgence, but I thought it was worth a revisit for the special occasion!

4 comments:

Mary said...

I like the drizzle of caramel on Bert's cupcake. Very pretty!

caninecologne said...

hi mary - yes, it was quite lovely. there was also a caramel candy on top too!

Cathy Doe said...

Hummingbird! I used to always ask for that kind of cake from Howard's Bakery for my birthday. Is the frosting good? It looks very sweet.

caninecologne said...

hi cathy - yes, the frosting was sweet, but not overly so. i don't really eat the whole amount of frosting when i eat cupcakes. i never even knew about the hummingbird flavor until it was suggested to me by jennywenny for my bday cake flavor.