"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Canadian Maple Syrup Pie

This weekend I was in a pie baking mood...

It was finally time to open up the hallowed can of maple syrup that I got as a gift last year...

I'm sure it was a travesty to wait that long, but the can was forgotten in my pantry until I finally took it out and put it on the counter to remind me to use it.

Below, the ingredients.  Pay no attention to the corn starch. It turns out I didn't need it for this recipe. I was reading several different recipes and the one using corn starch required a pre-baked crust because the filling was "no bake". I nixed that and kept the recipe with the unbaked crust (linked at the end of this post).

I just love the graphics on the syrup can. This was a gift from C's blogfriend, NM, whom we visited last year during our epic road trip in Canada. NM and her family live in Levis, Quebec.

I left the mixing to TC. She also ended up (unncessarily, but she didn't know) the pie crust onto the fluter pie plate, so the crust was a bit flatter than I would have liked it to be. No matter. It still tasted good!

Here it is, reading to be baked...

and 45 minutes later! The top was inflated, then deflated once I set it on the stove top.

TC didn't spread the dough all the way to the fluted edge.


Canadian Maple Syrup Pie
(Recipe courtesy of Cake Central)

Ingredients:
1 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
2 eggs
1 unbaked pie crust (I used Trader Joe's)

Directions:

  • Preheat the oven to 350F
  • Whisk maple syrup, brown sugar, milk, and eggs in a bowl until blended well
  • Eliminate lumps or excess foam in mixture
  • Pour into pie crust
  • Bake 45 minutes
  • Remove pie (it should "jiggle" according to the recipe link)
  • Serve with EVEN MORE maple syrup and/or whipped cream (we didn't do that)
Sorry there are no photos of individual slices. We waited for this to cool down, then I forgot to take photos. The flavor of the maple syrup was far superior to that of Log Cabin and Aunt Jemima. I still have half of the can left and will most likely end up making another pie this weekend! Just believe me when I say that this was one of the best pies we ever made!


5 comments:

Darlene said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
caninecologne said...

Yeah, I thought the same thing but the combination worked! SOme other recipes I saw used heavy cream, so I guess condensed milk isn't too far off base.

caninecologne said...

Aagh, Sorry Darlene! I don't know how your comment got deleted! I don't recall deleting it. Blogger has been acting up!

Original comment was something along these lines of condensed milk and maple syrup being a strange combination.

Unknown said...

OMG!!! *drool* I need to make this.

caninecologne said...

hi C - you are so lucky you have the real thing (maple syrup) over there! plus u guys make your own! i loved that maple syrup that NM gave us!