
It was nearly time...
Time for fresh crullers!

"In the know" local Santee resident/donut guru, Cathy of Mmm Yoso told me that they make their crullers fresh at 8 pm. This was a Friday night. She knew they did it on weekends for sure. We would try our luck that evening.
When we saw this empty top rack, I was a tiny bit crestfallen. However, the lady at the counter said they were making some right now! Bingo!

There he was...our savior. The french cruller making man at Mary's. At least for that evening.

We would be meeting up with Cathy and the Mister for dessert here. So convenient for them since they live a mere few minutes away.

Bubbling away in the hot oil...

Just waiting to be glazed and then devoured...

We got there at a good time. No lines. No crowds. Once we ordered our donuts and waited for the crullers, there would be random groups of folks coming in...

Very diverse customers too, which is nice. Black, white, Latino, and representing the Flip persuasion, us. Ha ha,. But really, it was quite the international crowd.
Below, donut holes and old fashioneds ready for tomorrow.

The inner windows had cute paintings of East County...

Our donut treasures. The box on the left was Cathy's (cream puffs, apple fritter and two white glazed crullers), ours on the right (chocolate old fashioned, maple, glazed twist, chocolate coconut, cream puff and maple glazed cruller) which was missing the OTHER cruller.

It really does make a difference when you have one of these French crullers fresh and hot! It practically melts in your mouth! The first batch to come out were the maple. The guy later made chocolate, and the white and pink glazed. Look at how airy that dough is!

I had to take a snap of the replenished donut rack...

Before we left, I got a half dozen ($4.99) to go. We would enjoy a few more later as well as for breakfast the next morning.

They weren't as fresh the day after of course, but my eyes were "big" I suppose. I wanted to maximize our visit to Mary's. Next time, I'll just buy three, ha ha. But really, it was such good timing and I'm glad we got to sample every type of flavored glaze for these crullers. My favorite? The chocolate. Bert's was the maple.
Most recent visit to Mary's:
April 2013 - The same day I met up with Carol and Cathy at SEL...
In all, a very lovely evening meant to de-stress me from the horrific week I had at work. It was a temporary respite and I'm glad that we enjoyed a great Thai meal and had a nice dessert meet up with friends.
I'm already planning our next visit to Mary's to try their other cream puffs, maple bars, and fruit burritos!


7 comments:
Oooh, they look so good. And 8pm sounds better than 8am.
Oh the zoom on your camera is a wonderful thing. I couldn't describe the process we saw happening as well as the photos do. French cruller making guy is always there when I go; he's really nice. I suppose 9 pm is a better time to get there, when the crullers are in the window, but so hot and so fresh...perfect!
hi kirbie - the crullers were amazing fresh! the timing was right too. :)
hi cathy - it was neat to see them being made. i would have liked to see him shape that dough into rings though. thanks again for the tip! it was nice meeting up with you.
Mmmm, fresh crullers! I think Jake and I are gonna stop by tomorrow night... :)
Go for it Mary! :)
There's not much worth waiting for in life/line - but a hot fresh donut....um, hells yeah!!
Yeah, that was good timing for those crullers!
Post a Comment