
I was so happy to see a new lunch time offering so close to home. Homestyle Hawaiian opened in April, but it was only recently that I had a chance to visit with my friends, La Ley and Mr. TJ...
They finally have their signage up. It used to say "The Dog Run", which was a failed hot dog place that we never had the chance of trying. I'm sure we didn't miss much. Prior to being The Dog Run, it's former incarnation was a Submarina sandwich joint.
Homestyle Hawaiian opened this spring and has been generating buzz in Chula Vista since then. There is another location of Homestyle Hawaiian, the original is also near a community college, Mesa.

It's not that large inside, making competition for seating quite a challenge during the busy lunch hour. This was quite the popular place with a mix of workers on their lunch break, college students, and even a few people in suits!

They have a good selection of items. The font was a little too small to read though. Looks pretty, but it makes for hard reading when you're trying to decide what you want.



By the time we sat down to wait for our food, the place was practically filled up! Many folks were taking their lunch to go.

Condiments at the table:

La Ley's Teriyaki Chicken. Every entree comes with the equivalent of two scoops of rice (seen as one giant looking scoop) and a scoop of mac salad. Her chicken was really juicy and tender. It was also quite a generous serving - two full chicken breasts, whoa!

Mr. TJ's combo plate - the Kalua pig with teriyaki chicken. Notoriously very picky with his food, Mr. TJ proclaimed this place to be his new favorite place. He had so much leftover and deemed it lunch (or dinner) for the next day.

This was the Hawaiian breakfast with Portuguese sausage and eggs, which are supposed to be easy. Although the server specified "eggs cooked longer", apparently the chef didn't read it, or this is his idea of "eggs cooked over hard"...with a damn runny yolk, which I detest. I didn't want to send it back since we were all hungry so I pushed the runny portions aside and enjoyed the rest of my lunch. As you can see, it was a lot of food. Too much, for one person.

"Don't bother us...we're eating!"

Other than the not-cooked-the-way-I-asked-for-it egg, my lunch was pretty basic. Some Portuguese sausage pieces were cut too thin and were more charred than the thicker pieces. There was no way I could finish all that and I didn't even touch the rice, just the mac salad. Of course, TC enjoyed the leftovers later that afternoon.
Who else went to this location of Homestyle Hawaiian?
Kirk went here during their opening days in April (one commenter saw my comment and thought that I meant the demographic was Filipino when I meant that I knew a lot of Filipinos would enjoy this place; the owner of Homestyle Hawaiian is Filipino and is a local boy from the South Bay. The food here obviously is Hawaiian/Pacific Islander)
Janice from Food is My Favorite was also here recently.
Homestyle Hawaiian
1558 East H St., Suite A (It's not really on East H Street, but that's what their website directions are. It faces out towards Otay Lakes Road, across from the Southwestern College parking lot. It's the building next to the car tune up place and is right next door to a dentist)
Chula Vista, CA 91913
(619) 271-7653
homestylehawaiian.com
Everything we had was so good and we all plan to be back to try more of their lunch time offerings.


4 comments:
Hi CC, I really want to try this place - their hours are a bit inconvenient for me, I do wish they opened til just a tad later for dinner on weekdays!
HI Jinxi, the one near Mesa College is probably closer to you and more convenient, but if you're ever down in the area, stop by. :)
Never knew that you didn't like soft eggs CC! BTW, the item to get is the Korean Chicken.
Hi Kirk, i am not a fan of runny eggs, so no loco moco's for me. :(
thanks for the tip. i will try that korean chicken next time!
Post a Comment