
at the Seafood City in National City. Ever since SC opened up in Chula Vista two years ago, I haven't had the need to go here...It's always crowded in the parking lot and in the store. We needed to get some jasmine rice for a potluck/surprise party nearby...
I don't think I've been back since I went here with Dennis back in 2011 for the South Bay Food Crawl...

It looks like this location also got a Grille City, like Chula Vista.
This huge bin of leaves were right in front (both locations) - Bittermelon leaves (which I love in soup) and Sitaw (long beans) leaves, which I've never had before.

This display of Nestle Table Cream was strategically placed next to End of the World/Doomsday size cans of canned fruit cocktail for the makings of Filipino fruit salad.

I liked the bilingual thank you sign as you leave.

More recently TC and I went to Seafood City to get a few snacks. We actually went in the afternoon, not at night, as depicted in this "older" shot that I used just to establish the locale, haha.

We wanted to see the feisty crabs, but I'm sure that some grandmas already picked at them and all we saw were the listless and/or dead crabs left. As we walked by the packaged fried fish counter, TC saw this...

I'd never seen that before or perhaps I hadn't looked too closely. This would be good for authentic style 'kaldereta' (goat stew).
Below, a wanna-be Ramune soda, Marble Pop.

Here are two popular sodas in the Philippines. Sarsi tastes like root beer.

Here are some fake Nutellas too.

This weekend, I made a quick drive up to 47th and Market to the same lot where Asia Cafe is located.

I didn't want to drive all the way up to Thuan Phat to get rice paper wraps so I figured that Muang Lao would have them.


And have them they did. I bought two kinds - pie shape and the regular round ones. We had shrimp/salad wraps later that evening for dinner.

I also bought two bunches of herbs - basil and mint. I didn't stay too long in the store. I also didn't take many photos in there because it's really small and there is an in-store camera and I didn't want to get in trouble. There is a cold case that held various types of greens, some of which I'd never seen before. I recognized the kaffir lime leaves, but for the most part, it was a bit mysterious. I'll have to ask the lady there next time what the other items are. I really want to know.


On the trip down, I also made a quick stop at Kyoto in the Sweetwater Plaza strip mall.

I wanted to get some masago for another type of wraps, chopped up fake Krab w/mayo, Sriracha and this.

Also this weekend (and also using a "recycled exterior" shot, Bert and I went to Zion to look around and possibly get a few snacks.

Hey now...these are on SALE!

But not these...

I shouldn't knock it 'til I've tried it, but it may be a long long time (aka NEVER) before you can get me to try a silkworm pupa.
At Zion we bought some fish pancakes from the packaged food area, along with some chopsticks. Bert and I shared an iced coffee from the Boba Bar in the food court. He made sure that they made it "strong". We really liked this, but I wish there wasn't so much ice. These white mesh chairs by the way, are not very comfortable.

Bert wanted to try these curved peanut crackers. Something to go with the Biscoff spread at home, he said.

Earlier, the line at Paris Baguette was way fkg long. Like fifteen people deep. It wasn't for their Kronuts though since it was after 2:30 pm (they sell them at 1 pm and they're gone in like two seconds). The line was empty when I randomly looked up so I took that opportunity to get our desserts.
Below, the tray while I was in line. My favorite, the Chocolate Feuilletee, an almond pastry for Bert, a tiny blueberry tart, the "blackout bread" that I've been wanting to try, and the wrapped Walnut/Cream cheese pastry for Bert.

That was the whole shebang.
Below are the three items that we shared at the food court. The almond pastry was very flaky which made Bert happy. The blackout bread was cool because it was made with squid ink. It's stuffed with a hotdog and the exposed pieces are sliced so that they "curl" and resemble the squid tentacles when it is baked.

I haven't tried the latest pastry trend...(yet), the croissant/donut hybrid. Paris Baguette has gotten in the action. After reading about how desperate some people are for them, I think I'd rather wait it out til it dies down.

Read about
Cathy where she got the LAST Kronut!
and Kirbie (actually Mr. K) who got the last TWO and was offered $100 for one of them! WTH! Seriously!
And most recently, Darlene's post (as of 8/13) where folks in line were only allowed to buy ONE!
Ethnic markets are like Disneyland to me. I could peruse the aisles at any of these stores and not get bored. It's always fun to see the different products and especially at Zion, sample the fun and tasty food samples (chapchai dumplings, fish cakes, etc). Much more exciting than Ralph's, Vons or Albertsons, I tell ya. I love how Ranch 99 and Zion are so close together, along with Mitsuwa, Nijiya, and Marukai Market. Down south, we have El Super, Northgate, Seafood City, Vallarta (which I haven't been to yet), and Mercado Internacional 2000. So many great choices for good food and unique products.


2 comments:
Love this post and all the places-need to find Kyoto; I must have seen it and thought it was a restaurant (we had our wedding reception at a place of the same name in Detroit). We always get the fish pancake at Zion (old and new location). At 99Ranch, they gave us a can the size of the silkworm stuff (I thought it was) with a $20 purchase, but it was some kind of fried canned soy product.
hi cathy - kyoto is next to a vietnamese place, which used to be a hawaiian place, which used to be Da Kine's. a long long time ago. i was tempted to get the korean fried chicken at zion but didn't want to deal with the messiness. it was so crowded that day we went which i didn't really like.
So, did you eat that fried soy product?
Post a Comment