
to Homestyle Hawaiian. With me were my friends and lunch partners, La Ley, Mr. TJ as well as MFH (the newly retired)....
We snagged a corner table and when I looke dup, I saw these specials and a taped on review, which upon closer inspection...
was Kirk's write up from back in April this year!

I had the pleasure of meeting the owner, Mo (short for "Anselmo") who was working the cash register as well as personally serving his customers. I thought that was a nice and personable touch. Mo is a super nice guy and it turns out that we know mutual people. Small world, but then again, when you're from the South Bay and Filipino, you're bound to know someone or someone that knows someone you know. Six degrees or less.
Below, their shave ice machine, but more importantly, next to it, an overlooked "specials" board, which included Salt & Pepper Crab and something called a "Jappa Dawg". That sounds interesting and I might try that next time. The crab, though, was $19.95, because it was Dungeness. I know this because I overheard him telling a customer.

I thought these carved turtle napkin holders were cute!

MFH's Lemonade flavored with Pomegranate and Lilikoi syrup. This was pretty good and a bit sweet, but she really liked it! There is a small flyer at the cash register that lists all the different flavors, like orange, lilikoi, guava, pineapple, etc.

Although we were four, only three plate lunches are shown. La Ley had the same thing as me. Everything was served with a scoop of rice and mac salad.

All of us except MFH brought our own drinks. We're
Mr. TJ's Teriyaki Chicken ($7.00), a very generous portion as you can see. Enough for two meals.

And going on Kirk's recommendatin, both La Ley and I tried the Korean Chicken ($7.95), which was marinated, breaded and deep fried chicken served with the signature "Lava" sauce (despite the name, it wasn't hot or spicy). We both loved this, so good call Kirk! I ended up eating only half; it was finished a few hours later by TC.

MFH ordered the Teriyaki Salmon ($8.95) which was pretty tasty (from the tiny piece that I sampled). Her rice was also "special" because there was furikake sprinkled on top.

Big portions and a good price! Both the teriyaki salmon and the Korean chicken were served on top of shredded cabbage. I'm not sure if it was also under the chicken or not. In any case, I wish there were more of the cabbage. Gotta have some greens, right?
Previous visit to Homestyle Hawaiian (which also links posts by Kirk and Janice):
Earlier this month
A tip for parking. If you can't find space right in front, you can park in the adjacent strip mall behind it - the one with Taco Bell, Halphen Red Burgers, MJ's and so on. There's a small flight of stairs (if you can five or six steps a "flight") that leads down to Homestyle Hawaiian.
Can't wait to go here again!


6 comments:
Good God....Mo's printed my post!??!? I'm glad you like the Korean chicken, it's still my favorite item that doesn't have gravy on it at HH. Seems like Mo's doing well.
hi kirk, apparently he did! but it's in the far left corner and kind of high up above the eyeline. i only noticed it because we sat there and i took a photo of the 'combo' sign.
my friend really loved that korean chicken. i think it kind of salty though. i was drinking water all that afternoon and evening!
mo is a nice guy and i liked seeing him interact with his customers. a class act all the way.
We went to MJ's this weekend (yummy - thanks again for the coupon!) and I saw where this was located. We'll have to stop in and visit the "new" spot. I love the lava chicken!
hi mary - yay!!! looking forward to your post on that! hope you were able to try a few different things there. and yeah, homestyle hawaiian is pretty good!
The Korean chicken is my favorite also.
hi cab,
it is good stuff, but i don't think i can eat that everyday!
Post a Comment