
This donut place also sold "the best sandwiches in the world"....really?
I like taking photos when I'm not driving. In this case, Cathy was driving...
This was on our way to Pasadena while stuck in traffic somewhere...

The sign says "Tribute to the Red Hot Chili Peppers"...OMG, they have a tribute band now? They don't seem that old of a band. Man, now I feel old!
The Art Deco building for the LA County and USC Medical Center...

If you're a soap opera fan, you might recognize the exterior in the opening credits of "General Hospital"...
OMG, I remember when Rick Springfield was on that show as Dr. Noah Drake (the name was later spoofed by Joey Tribiani in "Friends" when he played a soap opera character named Dr. Drake Remoray) from 1981 to 1983. My friends thought Rick Springfield was so hot. He was in his 30's in the 80's.

"Turn to your left and cough..." (that's a guy joke)
Now he looks like this. He's in his 60's now. Grandpa territory.

Ugh!
The first ever Trader Joe's in Pasadena...

A Ford Escort in a bank building's back parking lot that Cathy and I possibly and illegaly parked at (no parking meters!) before going to Euro Pane.

Somewhere in Orange County. I love the signage.

Pre-July 4th vendors...we saw at least 20 of these stands while driving in the OC (Santa Ana, Garden Grove, Westminster, Anaheim)...



I love this sign as well!

Somewhere in Laguna Beach - Gotta love that name! Husky Boy Hamburgers!

Bert really hates it when people put the Charger bolt sticker off kilter.

As seen in the new Zion Market - Cocohodo, a store which is known for their walnut and red bean snacks (pastries?).

Also seen at Zion...geoduck clams.

Anyone thinking of the Theon Greyjoy sausage scene from Game of Thrones Season 3?
Needs ketchup.
Har.
We haven't been to this event in a few years. It's this weekend, yo!

As seen in the Seafood City in National City - Mexican snack cakes...

And from the Target in Santee, these awesome Converse One Star studded sneakers...

I was so tempted, but I have too many pairs of sneakers already. I love the pyramid studded tongue that you can fold over! So cool!

Window painting at Mary's Donuts...

TC's 3rd attempt at rainbow cupcakes. This time, she reversed the order of the colors. I like that she started with the darker colors on the bottom. She made a batch for my dad's 74th birthday dinner. All of the boy cousins loved it and thought the colors were really cool.

I called this the "wall of bittermelon". This is a small part of my parents' garden.

At the Target in Chula Vista...I was attracted by the macarons on the box. However, when opened up, there are sight words like "the, at, and, in, on," etc. The photo of the macarons is so random and unexpected. Why even have them on the cover if the flashcards don't have photos on them?

A little past Broadway and Oxford in west CV. This used to be Godfather's Pizza back in the Stone Ages (mid 80's).

Now this is a place I regret not going to in time...Located on the corner of Highland and 28th (next to Sweetwater High School) was the forer Speakeasy Food Co. They had $5 brisket sliders, bbq, brisket tacos, and such. This place didn't last long. It was only there from this spring up until last month!

Now it's painted over with bright orange and the sign reads, "Coming soon - Tortas by Don Vicente".

Don Vicente is a Mexican eatery across the street, known for their menudo, pozole and potato flautas. In fact, Dennis and I stopped here during the South Bay Food Crawl of 2011.
Below, snack gifts from Cathy. OMFG, score on the Chicken &Waffle chips! That was THE one flavor that we couldn't find earlier this spring. Sriracha yes. Cheesy garlic yes. But this one was like finding the Holy Grail!

The tomatoes were fresh from her garden and the mini flatbreads (a product of Australia) were from a recent grocery excursion...
Also very much appreciated were fresh herbs from Cathy's garden. Sage, oregano, basil, lemon basil, and spearmint!

I used the basil and oregano for a ratatouille bake and the sage for turkey sausage patties. I think I'll make spring roll wraps so we can use up the mint!


8 comments:
Ack, that Chargers logo... :( I saw those macaron flash cards at Target, too, and I was disappointed that it wasn't a box of macarons... ha!
hi jinxi - my husband feels the bolt should be centered! ha ha.
i think those macarons on the flashcard box are misleading. what little kid even knows about macarons anyways? and the cards didn't even have pictures on them, like a concentration game or something. lame.
I forgot about the Donut/Sandwich place; you'd think the "World's Best" would have more of a line. For years, The Mister and I have been fascinated with almost every Taco Shop North of San Diego also advertising pastrami on their signage. We saw all of those Fireworks booths and advertising too- very different laws up there. Good compendium; thanks for sharing.
I had gotten some of the Chicken & Waffle chips in the Spring and had saved some for Jake to try... but then my dad ate the rest of the chips so Jake never got to try them. But he found them recently and was so excited to finally try them (he liked them a lot, I think they're just okay). I love all the signage in LA, like the Norm's sign (though I've never been there). I think the macarons flash cards were just to trick parents into buying them hahah.
hi mary - the chips have that sweet maple flavor, from the waffle syrup, i suppose. i like it, but wouldn't eat this all the time.
i love that old signage too. very jetsons.
hi cathy - thanks. i forgot to respond earlier...yeah we were so surprised to see all those fireworks places. i guess those cities don't mind if regular folks light it up on the 4th, not like in s.d.
The Santa Fe Spring Drive-In always advertises tribute bands. I've remember seeing one for Van Halen.
Nice job on the rainbow cupcakes!
Hi Darlene - TC says "Thank you!" :)
I love Van Halen!!!!! The original lineup, of course.
Post a Comment