"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Friday, July 13, 2012

Return to Flavors of East Africa plus Eclipse

Hey, there's that pig on the building again!

Didn't you just blog this, you say?

Turns out this was day when KDB and I tried coming here...

and we were cock-blocked by the July 4th Holiday...(this was the day BEFORE the 4th):

Dagnabbit.  O_o

Plan B was to just drive up to El Cajon Blvd to see if any good restaurants popped up.

The next choice was Harar for Ethiopian. It was 12 noon already. They were supposed to be open but the lights were off and the door was locked.

A short drive a few blocks west brought us here:

KDB hadn't had this type of food before (neither did he ever have Ethiopian)...so we went here.

We were on a strict timeline since KDB was flying out of SD later that afternoon. Quick reminder, KDB stands for Knitting Diva's Brother and he is a very cool guy. He was the one we hung out with three years ago in Portland at Pok Pok and Pix Patisserie as well as recently this Spring during Day 4 of our Oregon trip (this post links everywhere we went that day).

While waiting to place our order, I noticed a tiny bug with suspiciously long antennas crawling under my side of the the table (bug not shown).

Not to gross you out, but I think it MIGHT have been a baby roach.

Uhhhhhhhg! WTF right?

Gawd, I hope it wasn't one of those!  I ended up taking off my flip flop and killing it.

Shall I even continue with this post?

I guess I will then...Let me forge on.

We chose the set of 6 sambussas for our appetizer:

More of the menu...


Our delicious sambussas served with a mint and tamarind sauce. I was hoping more for a spicy harissa sauce. Hopefully, these were devoid of baby roach parts.

Lentil, potato, and chicken...

Spinach, chicken (we had an extra one), and beef:

My beef Keema with an eggplant side and Chapati (a fllatbread that reminds me of a thick and slightly undercooked tortilla)...Loved the eggplant. I've had the beef keema before and it was all right. In hindsight, I probably should have ordered something else, but I felt like having ground beef that day!

KDB's "Safari Chicken" entree with sweet potatoes, and collard greens with cabbage.

The chicken was skewered on two sticks. It had a good flavor (from the one bite that I sampled). I liked his sides more than mine.

More of the chicken. The sweet potatoes looked like a stew. We thought they would be pure sweet potato chunks or something. The spinach and turmeric tinted cabbage was delicious.

Before taking KDB to his dad's, we walked over to Eclipse so he could get a coffee. I wanted to take him to Eclipse since he really liked the chocolate bars we gifted him earlier this year.

Instead of coffee, he got a soy milk.

I was still full from lunch so I didn' get anything. Wut?

There were boxes lying around. I saw Wil, the owner getting things reader for tomorrow's "Cupcake Extravaganza".

This display held their awesome handmade chocolate bars and gourmet truffles. So many great flavor combinations. Some of of my favorite bar flavors include the  Sea Salt Nib, Basil Mint, and Blackberry Sage.

KDB's Iced Soy Latte with dark chocolate powder mixed in...

Looks just like a glass of chocolate milk!

Read about our first visit here back in March 2011 (where we also went to Eclipse!). Other than the bug incident, we enjoyed our lunch...

There wasn't any time to go to Viva Pops for dessert since he had to make it to the airport on time. It was fun hanging out with KDB again. As for Viva Pops...that visit will be forthcoming!

But before dropping him off, we wanted to check out this place I'd always wondered about...

No comments: