"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Monday, July 23, 2012

ArtLab Studios

Prior to arriving at Art Lab Studios, we three noticed several auto shop workers clutching refreshing Slurpees from the 7-11 across the street.

Since I'm really anal, that post should really go here, but I wanted to post it on the "day of". So here is the link, Free Slurpees at 7-11 on 7/11!

Anyhow, one of our last destinations that day was at Art Lab Studios to see this:

We also wanted to support local comic artist, Paul Horn (creator of webcomic Cool Jerk) whose work was featured at this exhibit...

Let's take a peek in...

Okay, but before we do, let's admire this graffitied wall. As I walked into the lot to take closeups, TC warned me that I was on 'private property'. Yikes!

I didn't mean to trespass! But hey, I'm a sucker for street art and murals...

The art studio is a few doors down from Adams Avenue Bookstore (on Adams and 35th).

They have live entertainment on weekends. The space is long and narrow. TORC and I chuckled in appreciation at many of the artworks. Sorry, I don't remember which ones. TC also had a good time looking over the many pieces.

I didn't really take photos of the artwork, except for this one (below). If you want to see the exhibit, it is absolutely FREE and runs until the end of July. It's not too late to check it out. Lots of cool stuff on the walls! TORC and I liked this one because of the 80's band references in there.

Towards the back is a huge wall with prints ($10 print only/$20 mounted on foamcore board). All by local artists. TC bought a whimsical piece of a purple horse. There was another bizarre one that I liked of a Gremlin car topped with a polar bear and a lady on top of the polar bear!


Again, this visit was during the week of the Con.

Of course, we made sure to check out Paul's panels of Cool Jerk (which were in the back as you near the desk)!!!!

I thought it was a nice way to end our day on Adams Avenue.

Stickers on a nearby wall...


See Paul's post here about the exhibit.

ArtLab Studios
3536 Adams Ave
San Diego, CA 92116

Our whole fun filled day on Adams Avenue:
Blind Lady Ale House
Return to Viva Pops
Nickelodeon Records
Villanous Lair
Free Slurpees at 7-11 on 7-11!
a quick jaunt to the Adams Avenue Bookstore, and of course this post, at Art Lab Studios.

Remember, the show runs 'til the end of this month. Check it out if you are so inclined and support our local San Diego comic artists!

No comments: