"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Gelato and British snacks

After our lunch at Sicilian Thing Pizza, we did a few errands at Fashion Valley before heading here...

May as well use it up, right?

Plus we wanted Bert to check out the British store...

Again, a beautiful and warm sunny weekend...

TC had a small gelato with the curiously paired brownie with caramel swirl and strawberry, while Bert and I shared a large - mocha crunch with chocolate hazelnut. Refreshing for such a hot day. I just wish it didn't melt so fast!

Now, after all the times, TC and I have been to Shakespeare's Corner Shoppe (that's a NEW sign by the way - love this new version with the Union Jack), I can't believe we've never brought Bert! I thought I had evidence, but all my past posts indicate that we've gone with either TORC (2007), the Neighbor Girls (both for their "tea") and other numerous times just to buy candy or snacks.

There was a "full house" on their porch, about three or four tea parties going on. I waited until the breeze blew "just so" so I could get the full effect of the Union Jack, which has got to be one of the coolest flags EVER!

Inside Shakespeare's, the main table greets visitors with souvenirs for the Summer Olympic Games, which of course, will be in merry old London. Lots of keychains, t-shirts, tote bags, coffee mugs, banners, mini flags, and more merchandise that I can't remember.

When TC was searching the candy aisles, I struck up a conversation with a woman who was visiting from Florida. She was South African (She had the same accent as that guy on tv who used to do the "Men's Fashion Depot" commercials. Long time San Diegans can probably remember seeing those commericials) but relocated to Florida, where she said a lot of ex-Pat South Africans live. Anyways, she said her children grew up on "Smarties" candy and that she doesn't like the taste of M&M's. Hmmm, it's the other way around for me.  She was a character and I had a nice chat with her.

This is what we walked out with...A couple of types of Ginger Beer (the Cock and Bull was from England while the second one was Australian), a British brand of apple soda, and a lightweight Zima-like beer called Shandy. It tasted like beery lemonade. I liked it more than Bert did. The apple soda was pretty intense but too sugary for me. We haven't opened the ginger beers yet but maybe we'll open them up when we watch the opening ceremony for the Olympics in London.


TC's candy haul - two Cadbury bars (one regular and one "snow" or coconut filled). She saw the South African lady stocking up with these flake bars and thought she would try it too. There was also a roll of tart-n-tiny type candies called Fizzers. The lady at the counter was quite charming, giving us her personal recommendations for the soft drinks and the candy. In fact, ALL of the ladies who work at this store, from the owner, to the lady to serves tea, and many more, are super super nice. Plus, they have cool accents!

Those pastel colored round things in the zip lock are "flying saucers". They are a different color for each side, which was kind of neat. The exterior was made of rice paper and within was a sour candy powder.

The texture was like biting into styrofoam - not so tasty. But TC liked this a lot. The filling had that crushed sour powder that she likes so much.

Below, you can see the line out the door for Bluewater Seafood Grill. Yikes!

I thought this sign was funny too!

With work looming ahead and the unwelcome promise of forced furlough days, I am afraid that we will have to curb (but not completely curtail) these outings. More posts will focus on recipes as well.

Portland and Canada posts to resume...

Hope everyone's Hump Day was good!

4 comments:

Cathy Doe said...

What a nice street visit, cc! We usually sit upstairs at GV and I usually get some sort of caffeine based beverage. In England, at soft serve ice cream trucks, a smaller Cadbury Flake is placed in the ice cream, sticking out of the cone; the ice cream is only vanilla. Beer soup I've only seen in the Midwest. Need to write a post about it-it's cheesy.

caninecologne said...

hello cathy - yes, we enjoyed our little visit to India Street. Next time i go for gelato here, i should try sitting upstairs.

So there IS actually a soup with BEER in it? I thought it was a joke since that place is a bar (or at least i assumed it was a bar).

Jennywenny said...

I was just about to say the same as Cathy, they have a soft serve ice cream called a '99' with a flake in it, for some reason...

caninecologne said...

hello jw - i must try that cadbury flake then! the description sounds better knowing that it's sticking out of ice cream!