"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Saturday, July 21, 2012

Return to Station Tavern

Why oh why haven't we gone here more often?

Feeling a bit of 'cabin fever', we made sure to get out of the house today so we could enjoy the beautiful San Diego weather (which is pretty much almost every day, lucky bastards that we are)...

"Goin' up to South Park, gonna have ourselves a time..."

This neighborhood has really gone through a facelife over the past decade. With it, many new businesses  have popped up like Station Tavern.

The blackboard in front of the restaurant advertised their specials of the day. Today was Saturday, so....

Train Wreck Tots it was ($6 instead of $7 too)!

Bert felt like a beer. No Airedale Imperial Stout this time, so he went with the New English Special Brown.

I like how simple their menu is. The prices are also reasonable.

We sat out in the back patio where they have umbrella shaded picnic tables.

Bert's beer - had a nice and nutty taste to it. Their other "dark" offering was the Bear Republic Black Bear Stout. That will have to be next time! I want to give that a shot...

All of our entrees here with TC ready to shoot out some condiments on her cheeseburger...

And here they are, the Train Wreck Tots with jalapenos on the side (recommended by our very cool waitress but she did not tell us it was .50 extra). What we liked about these tots were their crisp exterior. They were still crispy even underneath the Sloppy Joe sauce and cheese. The sprinkle of green onions added some color and garnish but the real star of this were those tots! All that was missing from this was a bun!

Personally, I don't like Sloppy Joes because, they're well, sloppy! But Bert really liked how this Sloppy Joe sauce was a bit "drier" which allowed the tater tots to stay crispier. If it was a huge goopy and oozy mess, this would have been too gross to eat. This could have been it's own meal!

I got the Garden Salad ($5) with a hamburger patty on top ($3 extra). The menu describes it as an "organic mixed green salad with local grown offerings". Well, I'd love to know where they got those radishes (see the pink bits hidden in the back)!!!!  I loved that the salad had a little bit of everything (cucumbers, grated beets and carrots, cherry tomatoes, and radishes). I thought this was a pretty good meal.

Look how gorgeous those are!

It turns out that these are called Watermelon Radishes. They look so striking and beautiful!

Last time we were here, Bert got the Turkey burger. He continued his tradition of NOT getting a beef burger and instead, went with the Spicy Black Bean Burger ($7.50). His burger, along with TC's Cheeseburger ($7) come with lettuce, sliced tomatoes and onions...

TC's burger, which was supposed to be the Cheeseburger. I even remember her asking for Cheddar Cheese but in looking at these photos, cannot see the cheese. The receipt shows that we were charged for a Stationburger ($6.50), which is the regular hamburger. Well, I don't know how our waitress screwed that up since TC is pretty good about ordering her food clearly. I guess TC was so hungry, she forgot that there was supposed to be cheese in there.

Here's more of those tots!

and Bert's black bean concoction. Ugh. I tried a bite of this and try as I might, I do not like the taste of veggie burgers or bean burgers. It's just not the same. Don't get me wrong, it's good, but I personally prefer meat in a burger not filler.

See our previous post on Station Tavern back in December 2010.

We may be coming back to this neighborhood very soon. There was a new restaurant around the corner that piqued our interest...

2 comments:

Mary said...

I think Jake would really like those tots - will have to go and try them! The watermelon radishes really are so pretty! I haven't seen radishes like that before.

caninecologne said...

Hi mary - yes, you BOTH would have loved those tots! OMFG, they were so good!

that was my first time seeing those types of radishes as well. quite striking!