
Lots of aliens, space ships, Star Trek, and Star Wars stuff going on...
Many contestants in the various categories had to tie in their project or entry to the Fair's theme like this landscape design:


We all liked this zig zag hydroponic planter! TC wants Bert to make one of these!

Here's "E.T." in the garden area...

"Phoooone hoooome!"
The exhibit hall had various floral arrangements such as this all white one that had white oak leaves. I wonder if the leaves were bleached or it they were naturally white.

A "Brain plant". I wonder what the real name was?

Beautiful dahlias blooms on the table:

More gorgeous dahlia blooms:




This one was quite pretty with the variegation:

Another striking bloom:

Look how large those blooms are! I wish I had a green thumb! It would be nice to grow these.

Rose blooms:

One of my favorite things to do at the Fair is to look at the Collections. It's always cool to see people's obsessions. In this case, this person collected Giant Pez dispenser:

Another person collected Matchbox cars:

Complete with Homies figurines!

One of the most interesting collections was the one with "Short Snorters":

These were signed bills dating from WWII. Short Snorters (slang term for a mixed drink) were signed by people traveling together on an aircraft. The tradition was started was pilots in the 1920's and were quite popular during the War. Sometimes soldiers would get foreign currency and have it signed by their mates, making it a "keepsake". (For more info on short snorters, click here).

This person collected giftcards from Target! I spy Domo!


Another collector displayed the Starbucks given to her by her students and parents. This must have been an educator (a teacher perhaps); some of the cards said, "Thank you Teacher!" with an apple on it. I have been guilty of giving Starbucks giftcards to TC's teachers in the past, not even knowing if the teachers liked coffee or not. I switched to bookstore giftcards since most teachers would appreciate more supplies or new reading material. I spy Macca!
Here is the tunnel that leads to the other side of the fair...Look how tall TC is now! She is now past our shoulders. Our baby is a Tween.

TC always loves seeing this:

The stables with various horse breeds:

A Haflinger:

and an Appaloosa - love the coloring of this breed. In addition to the World of Horses, there was also a garden area and another exhibit with children's art.

View of the track on our way back to the other side. This seems like a huuuge track for the horses to run!

We went to see the farm exhibit. Yes, I guess Alpacas count as a "farm animal". I thought these were fake because they were so still and their fur was just shorn and it looked very "artificial". They had samples of their fur to compare with sheep (very coarse) and llama (soft). Alpaca fur is much finer and softer that the llama fur. I like the tufts of hair on the alpacas. They also make a funny grumbling sound.

One of the teen 4-H exhibitors displaying one of her chickens:

How come there was no Mork from Ork here? General Akbar anyone? Kang and Kodos? The Jetsons? The Silver Surfer? Space Ghost? Starblazers? Or how about Barbarella?

That was our trip to the SD Fair this year. Thanks again to Darlene and to Cathy for the tickets! We were able to hit up everything we wanted to try, food-wise and see exhibits and displays.
Until next year!


No comments:
Post a Comment