"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Monday, June 27, 2011

Return to Annie Belle's...

[Update - as of 2013, Annie Belle's closed sometime last year]


Having been in Oakland recently and remembering Merritt's Bakery, Bert had a craving for chicken and waffles...

Originally we wanted to use my coupon for Bonnie Jean's but for some reason, they were closed on Sunday! You'd think people would be going here after church and all, unless they opened after 12 noon. In any case, we didn't want to wait for lunch, so down the street we went to Annie Belle's (see original post here)...

Since it was a Sunday, they were playing Gospel music instead of Old School (I was hoping to hear more of the Old School)...
For TC, she had the 3 Granny Wings plate which came with a side of corn bread (not shown), fries, and celery and carrots. By celery, I mean one fucking stick sliced into three! That's pretty stingy. And by carrots, I mean 3 small "baby" carrots. Boo to the measly vegetable offerings. But yay for the wings because they were huge and delicious!  TC loved the crispy seasoned batter on the skin.  So did I.

Bert's Chicken and Waffle plate (same as the one we got during our first visit)...The waffle, compared to Merritt's was thinner and not as crisp. There was also a cinnamony flavor to this waffle which I didn't really like but hey, this wasn't my lunch. Heh. Butter and syrup? Yes please...

I ordered a la carte from the Sides menu (about $1.99 each) - two sides of Fried Catfish,  one side of collards and one side of mac 'n cheese. I intended to share the sides with TC - trading her one granny wing for my mac 'n cheese and some of the collards.

This picture doesn't do it justice but those were two bigass pieces of catfish! The cornmeal crust was so good! The fish was also tender and sweet (not muddy tasting).  I loved it, but it doesn't compare to the fried catfish I once had made by HotFudge (HF, I know you are reading this, so hail to your mad cooking skills!). Hers are seasoned much better than this version. Even though I had her catfish years ago, I still think about how good they were. As for this plate, I could only finish about 1 and 1/2 of the two pieces. The collards weren't as good as Merritt's but they were still quite tasty. When we go here again, I plan to order more of the catfish!

The regularly programmed Road Trip posts will resume shortly...

6 comments:

Darlene said...

I've been meaning to go here now after seeing how big the catfish is, I'll make it more of a priority.

caninecologne said...

hi darlene - yeah! try the catfish! :)

CAB said...

We were just talking about chicken and waffles last night. I think I need to take the Mister to Annie Belle's.

caninecologne said...

hi c - i think you guys would like it there!

CAB said...

So The Mister told me last week that someone from his office brought in take out from Anne Belle's and he said it was the best fried chicken he's ever had. I am so making him take me there once he's back from his trip.

caninecologne said...

hi c - yeah, their fried chicken is pretty damn good. their granny wings are huuuuge. the crunchy fried coating is also like crack.

i just don't like their waffles. too thin and they have cinnamon in them. ugh.