This past Sunday, TC found one of the baby birds dead on the concrete near the bougainvillea shrub.
We were wondering how it got out of the nest when it was so young and weak. Maybe it was the runt and it got pushed out? When TC asked me to come see the bird, my heart sank. The nestling was already dead and several ants were sniffing around. The next morning it was GONE. Maybe a bigger bird came by and ate it or a neighborhood cat. Poor thing...

Not to be a Debbie Downer but I checked today out of curiosity (I made sure the mother bird was gone, probably hunting for food) and guess what?
Only ONE bird is left.

It's eyes are open now and it's already grown so much since last week. I'm using the zoom feature on my camera so please don't think I'm getting it that close to the bird.

It looks like the wings are "bald".

I remember being excited seeing the three tiny speckled eggs several weeks ago. What happened to the 2nd one, we'll never know.
I hope that this last bird survives.


No comments:
Post a Comment