"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Tuesday, June 07, 2011

Leaving Toronto...

On our way to the airport, I snapped this shot of this Filipino grocery/take out store, Pook ni Butchukoy (which means "Butchukoy's place; not sure what dialect that is because I know it's not Tagalog). "Pook" is not pronounced as "pook" like in "spook" but "po-ohk" (two syllables).  No, we didn't stop here but as we passed by the open door, I could seen an elderly man sitting down at one of the tables. No matter what city we're in, I like taking photos of anything Filipino related...


I'll miss seeing the triple story homes here...

as well as the brick buildings...

Our flight out of Toronto had a stopover in Minneappolis...the land of PRINCE.

On the flight to Minneappolis, Bert made friends with the guy next to him, who happened to be a pilot. Pilot Rick was his name. A very helpful man he was. He ended up helping us navigate our way through the airport (this was his homebase) and take the tram to get to our gate. We would have been lost without him.

Freeway sign near the airport...

Somewhere up in the air...

Enjoying the inflight snacks. Hey, I didn't think they could still give out peanuts, but they did. There's also that box of wanna be M'n'M's. Sorry C but the Smarties don't taste as good, but they do have better colors! The box of candy was from C - chocolate raspberry toffees....so sinfully good!

Our Canada trip was the best vacation we'd had by far, surpassing Seattle/Vancouver, Hawaii, and Boston/NYC. We had such a great time seeing all of the different sights like CN Tower, the Hockey Hall of Fame, Kensington and St. Lawrence Markets, Niagara Falls, and so on. We even saw a canal lock in action! Besides staying with C and her family, we got to meet so many nice people like C's friends, S and his wife E, TCS (The College Student), C's parents and her friends. Oh yes, and Pilot Rick, haha. I'm glad we finally got to go after delyaing our trip two years. It was worth the wait and I honestly hope that we can go there again and visit not only the Island but other Canadian towns...

4 comments:

Darlene said...

I feel so sad that I didn't get to hit as many food places in Toronto like you did. I was visiting cousins I hadn't seen in years and it was too darn hot! But at least I can live through your posts. Another time!

caninecologne said...

hi darlene - hey, you had to be with family, right? :) next time you'll have that chance to try the diff't food places. man, you guys were there during a heatwave too!

kellypea said...

We keep talking about visiting parts of Canada, then never get around to it. It's definitely on our list though because there's so much to see and the airfare is a lot more inexpensive than anywhere in Europe right now. I know a lot of foodies in Vancouver, so it would be fun to meet some of them. Sounds like you had a great time.

caninecologne said...

hi k - thanks for visiting. toronto has so many different neighbors, each with their own flair. it was so fun trying hungarian and polish food. hopefully you will be able to visit toronto (or any other part of canada) eventually. :) vancouver is alsoa great "eating" city.