"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Thursday, June 09, 2011

Another Bird Update

Well, since this weekend, the last bird has left the nest!

I remember checking on it Sunday afternoon and I saw it sitting in the nest.

The next morning it was gone! I quickly checked underneath the bush to see if it had fallen. Nothing there. I mentioned to Bert later that afternoon that the bird was gone. He said he thought he saw the bird practicing to fly as he left for work that morning. As he went to mail a bill, he noticed something fly out and land in the driveway in front of his car. After he went to the mailbox, he observed the bird as it made a shaky but short flight to our neighbor's tree.

I was happy when he told me he saw the "fledgling" practicing its flying skills. Later that afternoon, I checked the nest to see if it had returned. It hadn't, but the mother bird was nearby chirping away on our neighbor's tree.

It's nearly the end of the week and we haven't seen the birds since but I've heard them chirping so they're around somewhere. That was fast wasn't it? At the end of May there were eggs which hatched one week later, and now two weeks after the hatching, one of the three birds (hopefully) survived and is on it's own.

Update as of 8:00 pm tonight. - Sad news. Our neighbor's daughter and friend found the bird mangled after their dogs were chasing it. They heard the dogs barking and chasing the bird which had a messed up leg. They are now burying it in the front yard. I guess the fledgling had taken refuge in the neighbor's yard. Unfortunately, it also met it's demise there. So sad that it lived for only several weeks.

No comments: