
This particular visit was with Bert whohadn't been there in a while, plus, there was a coupon I wanted to use...
When I was here earlier last month, the guy working the counter said they were now offering coffee drinks. Then, I got this in the Get 1 Free mailer, but still thought in the back of my head that the coffee probably wouldn't be that great...or would it?


Their racks were fully stocked...

Their front table had cookies for Day of the Dead and the seasonal bread known as Pan de Muerto (check out my compilation post here).


The coupon for the free pastry was either a concha or cookie. We chose the conchas. Well, Bert did, I chose the chilindrina (with the pearl sugar chunks).

I was happy to see La Veladora ("the candle" pastries there; they are the rolled strawbery and coconut pastry filled with bavarian cream.

As I mentioned earlier, they were pretty much fully stocked.

I'm going to back track to an earlier visit where I bought a few of their empanadas for breakfast.

Look at the price, yes only $2.20, not $5 or whatever the fk they charge for ONE in the hipster places. And these do not have gross thick dough either. These empanadas are flaky and warm. I selected three flavors, the picadillo, chicken and spinach. I haven't tried the tuna yet.

Their closeup at home - chicken, spinach and cheese and the picadillo. TC and I ate these before going thrift store shopping in late September. All were delicious but my favorite was the beef. The chicken has a tiny kick to it. TC's favorite was the spinach and cheese (they use ricotta).

Another past visit, I bought a flaky stick and a guava jam filled empanada.

Bert enjoyed these with his coffee the next day.

Back to the most recent visit now...

Their drinks menu. The coupon was buy one coffee drink and get one pastry. Bert chose the Cafe mocha. The older lady at the counter did not know how to make the drink. Bert saw her looking up a recipe card. Sadly, the drink tasted burnt and was served super-burn-your-tongue-to-blistering-shit hot. :(

Well, suffice it to say, our expectations should have been low for the coffee anyways. I'm not sure what beans they used, but it was burnt tasting.
Bert's coffee and our pastries.


This was very lightand airy inside and made even better with the sugar paste on top. Very nice. If you've ever had an old or stale concha, it's horrible and rock hard. This was so very fresh. Same thing with my chilindrina (named after a popular Mexican TV character, a girl with freckles).



Too bad the coffee sucked to the highest of sucktivity.
Previous visit to La Concha Bakery:
"Feliz Ano + Rosca de Reyes" January 2016
I was tempted to go to Chico's around the corner to see if they had any tamales, but we still had more errands to run, so off we went...


No comments:
Post a Comment