"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Tuesday, October 04, 2016

Halloween Pez 2016

It's that time of the year again when I change out the Pez in the house..

where they have a place of honor in our family room's media cabinet (do they even make those anymore now that you can mount flatscreens?)...

I actually took these photos a few weeks ago before I bought a few new Halloween themed Pez for the shelf.


Yes, a few "non-Halloween" characters are in the mix as well but for good reason (at least to me, they are).

I'm such a nerd. I geeked out when I saw the a witch and pumpkin that I was sure I didn't have. Since I'm so anal in photo documenting what I have, I compared the "new" ones to my inventory (stored on my phone) and saw that I indeed did NOT have those particular Pez.  Stem color DOES matter when you collect Pez.

I thought I'd separate the Pez dispensers by "type".

These are the "flat top" pumpkins - the one with the green stem is from 2014 while the white stem, which is "glow in the dark" came out in 2012.

More pumpkins - The two on the left are "Polly Pumpkin" but notice that one is smaller and with a different shade of green for the stem. The smaller head pumpkin is called Pumpkin B and came out in 1991. It was replaced by the larger head pumpkin, called Pumpkin C or Polly Pumpkin in the late 90's. Pumpkin B has since been retired. I found that one in a thrift shop.

The white stemmed pumpkin head on the far right has the same head as Polly Pumpkin but with a white base. The other pumpkin with the weird face and white stem cap is the Jack o Lantern Pez which came out in 2012. Both have glow in the dark stems.

Here they are, all together. One big happy pumpkin family.

Now for the witches.

From left to right - Witch D (1991-2002), Witch with purple hat (2011) with GITD stem, Witch E (2009) with green face, black hat, purple hair and bats on GITD stem, and lastly, Witch F (2011) with the purple stem.

There is a Witch G  that came out this year with a different mold and with green eyes and black eyebrows. The hook nose isn't as pronounced either. I NEED that one, haha.

Here are two cats and a penguin. The one in the  middle is a true Halloween Pez (released in 2006). What I like about him is his angry expression kind of goes against the look of the smiling pumpkin on his collar.

The black cat pez is flanked by two Sanrio characters, Chococat (blue stem) which was released in 2007 and Badtz Maru (orange stem; he is a penguin), released in 2014. I was obsessed with Chococat for awhile. I had stationary, stickers and even a mirror compact (which I still have; I had two but broke one, sadness).

Three ghosts and a ghoul! And they even have names!

Naughty Neil  (1998, non-GITD), Happy Henry(1998), Slimy Sid (1998), and the Friendly Ghost (2013 - the latest trend is making some of these characters "cute" which is kind of lame)

Bat & Vampires

The Bat with wings (2009) is pretty ugly, but is supposed to be scary;  Vampire (2010) and the newer (and less scary looking Baby Vampire (2013).

Below, Skull B (2001), Toti the Skeleton (2003, GITD stem) + 2 non-Halloween characters. Do you know who they are?

If you guessed Randall from "Monster's Inc." (voiced by the great Steve Buscemi), then you are correct. Same with Darth Maul, the Sith Lord from the horrible Star Wars prequel, "Star Wars - Episode 1 - The Phantom Menace".

I don't have the black skull or any of the "crystal" (clear plastic) versions of the pumpkins (boo) and the Mummy which I've never seen.

More info on PEZ:

www.pez.com
www.pezcollectors.com (you can order PEZ from this site)
and of course we can't forget this,
The Burlingame Museum of Pez Memorabilia (see our recent visit here)

After October is done, I'll have to put out my "fall colored" (orange, red and yellow) dispensers since there aren't any specific ones for Thanksgiving. When December rolls around, watch out. Christmas Pez galore!

No comments: