"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Saturday, October 22, 2016

Coronado Spice & Tea

Earlier this morning while enjoying our drinks at Santos Coffee House...

I didn't realize that this other spot I'd been meaning to check out was right across the street...

Coronado Spice & Tea it's called and I remembered that it was next to the hipster bbq place, Grand Ole BBQ & Asado.  It wasn't open just yet so we drove over to South Park to have lunch (post wil be backdated, heh heh) and then have TC drive us back here.

So now we were back and wow, the aroma of the smoked meats was pretty prevalent and made my mouth water.  No...we would have to devote a full lunch there next time but not today.


Decorated for fall, how nice.


TC really wanted the Ice Cream Puff (i.e. a donut ice cream sandwich) while we all opted to try different drinks. It was nice chatting with the owner, Johanna who was very friendly.


If you don't want a donut ice cream sandwich, you could also have a cone.  For our drinks, I chose the espresso con panna, Bert wanted the cookies and cream frappe and for TC (and us to share), the passionfruit Italian soda.  Their menu board for this visit differed slightly from Mary's visit (her post linked at the end). They no longer offered lavender sodas, I noticed.

True to their name, this little shop sold jarred spices, and herbs as well as bagged teas.




There are a few tables outside the shop. The other tables are for the bbq place.

Our drinks:

Bert's frappe which he enjoyed. He said it wasn't as sweet as he thought it would be, which was good. He is not one to eat sweets or even drink sweet drinks so he was pretty happy with this drink.

The passionfruit Italian soda which we all liked. It was gone before we even got to the car. Again, this wasn't sickenly sweet. The owner didn't overdo the syrup like some places do.

And this...wow. I really enjoyed this cup of espresso with housemade whipped cream (panna). I had a similar drink at Element Coffee in Camarillo during our summer road trip, the macchiato con panna. The espresso was so smooth as was the panna, which cooled it down and sweetened it naturally. There was a tiny bit of cinnamon sprinkled at the top which I could have done without but other than that, this was one of the best drinks I've had in quite a while.


The coffee here is from Daymar Coffee Roasters in El Cajon.  I would get this drink again and hell, maybe even ask for a double shot!  Who needs to sleep, eh?

TC's Ice Cream Puff - she chose the glazed donut with strawberry ice cream with sprinkles on the sides and crushed Oreos on top.



I had a small bite and found it too sweet for my liking. The donut by the way, tasted fresh and not horrible and stale. I should have asked where they came from or if they made them in house. Biting into the donut was a pretty messy because the ice cream would ooze out. There was no graceful way to eat this I tell you.

Who else went to Coronado Spice & Tea?
Mary's post from earlier this summer intrigued me.

Coronado Spice & Tea
3302 32nd Ave
San Diego, CA 92104
(858) 461-9848

coronadospiceandtea.com + reviews from you know where

Later that day, I was looking through my albums and put The Church's "Heyday", one of my favorites by this band, onto the turntable...

A post neo-psychedelic Indie rock band from Australia, the Church was formed in the early 80's and is still together to this day. In the late 80's  Church was largely unknown in the U.S. until their song, "Under the Milky Way" went mainstream (from their 1988 album, "Starfish"). That song was featured in a memorable scene from "Donnie Darko".  On "Heydey" (released in 1985), there weren't any real hits that made it onto the radio. Instead, the songs were densely layered  shimmering guitar-based soundscapes. It was cool listening to this album again after all these years.

I've been trying to listen to a different album each day. It's quite nostalgic having to "turn the record over" to the other side.

It was time to call it a day. It was also quite "interesting" having TC drive us around. Since she hadn't had freeway experience yet we didn't feel comfortable having her drive, Bert drove home. She'll get more experience soon enough! She's at that stage where she's happy to drive anywhere, but soon enough, she'll probably end up feeling it's a pain in the @$$, like I did as a teenager eons ago.

Just kidding, but not really.

2 comments:

Mary said...

I'll have to go back here to try their actual coffee, not just donut ice cream haha. It's good they have "reserved" seating for this place otherwise those tables would be taken over. Hope you get to try the BBQ place soon.

caninecologne said...

I'd like to go back to try their teas actually. Oh yes, and the bbq too! It smelled so good!